Wall mounted shield with air gap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Krabecal

Feb 6, 2023
New York
I recently had a Vermont castings encore installed and wanted to add a wall mounted heat shield because I’m neurotic :) We’re the distance to combustibles plus 3” to allow for the shield. I see a lot of metal shields but I was interested in doing durarock with .5” ledger stone but I’m super confused on how to finish the sides? I understand I need the gap at the top and bottom but it’s a corner install so I’d like to finish the sides but I’m at a loss of how to do so and I can’t find anything online other than just sheet metal open on all four sides. Hoping someone here has something similar!

8B5BF88E-87B8-4418-BE53-629A0313F6A9.jpeg

What if you spaced duroc from the wall and left a gap at the bottom. Frame the edges with metal lumber and put Duroc to cover the metal. Then tile the panels and the edges with your stone.

The clearance distance is not measured from the heat shield. The clearance is to the nearest combustible, which will be the wall behind the shield.
Maybe just keep it simple and put the cement board on the wall and cover it with the ledger stone instead of trying to add a wall shield where it's not required. If you want to do the 1" air gap then trim the side edges out with wood while keeping the bottom 1 or 2" above the hearth and open at the top.

Reactions: Krabecal
If code doesn't specify an open gap at the sides I'd screw in some durock and finish the same as the front.

Reactions: Krabecal
What if you spaced duroc from the wall and left a gap at the bottom. Frame the edges with metal lumber and put Duroc to cover the metal. Then tile the panels and the edges with your stone.
Good idea thanks! I wasn’t sure what to affix it to

The clearance distance is not measured from the heat shield. The clearance is to the nearest combustible, which will be the wall behind the shield.
Maybe just keep it simple and put the cement board on the wall and cover it with the ledger stone instead of trying to add a wall shield where it's not required. If you want to do the 1" air gap then trim the side edges out with wood while keeping the bottom 1 or 2" above the hearth and open at the top.
Yup we have extra space from combustibles so it’ll be the combustible distance from the non combustible shield. Wood is a good idea, could match the mantle

Yup we have extra space from combustibles so it’ll be the combustible distance from the non combustible shield. Wood is a good idea, could match the mantle
The mantel clearance is what you want to watch. That's combustible if made from wood.