Wall Shield - Attaching Tiles Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

My father-in-law gave me a hand this weekend putting up Durock cement board with 1" space behind it for my corner install wall shield. Used metal studs on the flat screwed to the wood studs, then used 3 1/4" Tapcons to go through the Durock, the metal stud, and the drywall and ultimately into the wood stud.

The next step here is to use some tin ceiling tile to cover the Durock. The manufacturer of the tile indicated we'd want to nail this to the Durock, however I'm a little hesitant to start nailing on the Durock as it seems brittle - we'd probably need to pre-drill but then what holds the nail into the cement board?

My question is this: Can we use a high heat silicone adhesive/sealant like this instead of nails?
https://www.rutland.com/p/4/600-degree-f-rtv-high-heat-silicone-sealant

Obviously it would probably smell until it cures, but outside of that it seems like it would work.

Thanks for any help!

That may be ok, but I think you will need some brads in the corners of the tiles in order to hold them in place as the silicone sets up.

That may be ok, but I think you will need some brads in the corners of the tiles in order to hold them in place as the silicone sets up.

Oh yea, good point...probably don't want the tiles sliding down the face of the cement board.

I put porcelain tile on my backer board and I just used some lock-tite adhesive sets very fast. I started tiling at the top got my first row done let set up about 10 minutes. I then started working my way down and I tapped the tile to the row above it so it wouldn't move at all .Worked good for me still their a few years later

Which Loctite adhesive? One needs to be careful when using adhesives in this application. Many are combustible or low heat.