Wall shield for foam panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ppeany

Oct 17, 2020
Wisconsin
I am currently building a tiny cabin I am insulating my walls with foamular 250 foam panels. My question is can I use pole barn steel panels for my wall barrier behind the wood stove?

If it is metal, then yes it can be used on 1" spacers with a 1" gap at the floor and ceiling. The stove's clearance requirements will still need to be honored.

Reactions: ppeany
If it is metal, then yes it can be used on 1" spacers with a 1" gap at the floor and ceiling. The stove's clearance requirements will still need to be honored.

Why is the air gap required? As you point out, this is not a nfpa wall shield and won’t reduce any clearance requirements.

A bigger issue is foam in the living space at all. I was under the impression that due to the incredibly flammable nature of foam and the horribly toxic smoke it makes that you had to cover all foam with something like Sheetrock per the building code.

The air gap is for peace of mind. If this is a tiny house then clearances can be tight. We don't know what stove this is, may be an off label one being installed like on a boat. Need more info.