Want info about where you live, I'm moving!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hi folks, been wanting to move south for over 8 years now from Maine. Visited many areas in VA, FL, PA. Visiting an area for a week doesnt really give you the whole picture. I'm a Master Nissan/Honda/Toyota tech, looking for a place to have a nice country home and a couple acres, Virginia south. I would like to keep the trees and mountains around as well as a mild winter. With the housing market at a low now is a good time for me to buy. Cheap taxes, good area/people/church, give me a shout.

North of VA.

It's cold here too.

We beat Taxachusetts in high taxes.

Some of the people are nice.

Matt

If I was going to move anywhere it would be southern PA...earlier springs, later falls. I kind of like winter just want a shorter version of it.

Come to MN, it was only below zero for over 87 hours a couple weeks back. I'll take you ice fishing, you'll love it here.

I heard Tennesee is nice from a freind who moved there from Maine

If you come to Jersey you can swim in the dirty water in the summertime
and you wont have to worry about burning your woodstove cleanly.
The best part is that you can feel like you are a mouse in a maze with a piece of cheese
dangling in front of you..:>)
If you find a place, let me know. I too am looking at Virginia or N.C.
Just hard to put together the move , sell the house, find the new job.....how do you go
about doing it ?

I suggest North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee if you want a somewhat mild climate and mountains. It's just plain beautiful there.

Jersey Fire Bug said:
The best part is that you can feel like you are a mouse in a maze with a piece of cheese
Just hard to put together the move , sell the house, find the new job.....how do you go
about doing it ?

Hard to believe now, but my great-grandparents bought a farm house and 30 acres in Bergen County NJ as a vacation getaway. Seven miles from where the George and Martha Washington Bridge is now. I grew up there in early 1950s and it was beautiful. Small vegetable farms, native brook trout all over, deer, and all kinds of other wildlife. That entire ecosystem was destroyed by the 1970s , not a shred left of it. I've live in rural areas my entire life and have yet to see as much wildlife in one place as parts of northern NJ had once.

Greybeard said:
Hi folks, been wanting to move south for over 8 years now from Maine. Visited many areas in VA, FL, PA. Visiting an area for a week doesnt really give you the whole picture. I'm a Master Nissan/Honda/Toyota tech, looking for a place to have a nice country home and a couple acres, Virginia south. I would like to keep the trees and mountains around as well as a mild winter. With the housing market at a low now is a good time for me to buy. Cheap taxes, good area/people/church, give me a shout.

Good luck. I'm not a Stehpen King fan (he's a Maine native, right?). But, he said something in an interview that kind of stuck with me. He said it takes at least 10 years of living in an area to really get to know it, and by that time, it usually changes. In context, he said this when some reporter asked him why he still lives in Maine.

I've moved three times in my life and each move was because the area outgrew me and got too crowded. Now, I'm considering a 4th but it's a tough choice to make unless you can live in the new area first and find out what it's really like, and predict how much it's going to change in the near future.

Got some good input here guys. I've sold off all my "stuff" and got ready to move 2 years ago, had a job lined up, house sold, moved into an apartment. Then the wife changed her mind. Now after another couple long winters, shes thinks shes ready again. At this point I have accumilated half of what I sold off and bought another house. Dont know if I can do it again. Seems kinda funny and painfull when I look back on it. Theres a goodside to the story though, got the mother inlaw to move out. I'll keep lookin at NC and VA, they seem to be growing all the time though. Oh, I've been to NJ, definately the armpit of the east coast, but I know it was nice a long time ago....Keep smiling theres a few trees left in the USA.

jdemaris said:
Jersey Fire Bug said:
about doing it ?

Hard to believe now, but my great-grandparents bought a farm house and 30 acres in Bergen County NJ as a vacation getaway. Seven miles from where the George and Martha Washington Bridge is now. I grew up there in early 1950s and it was beautiful. Small vegetable farms, native brook trout all over, deer, and all kinds of other wildlife. That entire ecosystem was destroyed by the 1970s , not a shred left of it. I've live in rural areas my entire life and have yet to see as much wildlife in one place as parts of northern NJ had once.

I still live in a pretty good part of N.J. I am on the Northside of Lake Hopatcong. Have 6 miles of wildlife reserve right off my backyard. Always get deer and bear walking thru. The problem is that to do ANYTHING I have to deal with the typical N.J. stuff. Traffic, garbage,nasty people,etc. Still very rural here and in Sussex County. Farms , etc. They say that if you've lived in N.J. that you can live anywhere...lol

hey jd - you can still find some brook trout on bergen county NJ . very few brookies and small tributaries to not so big "rivers" but they still fit in a mess kit frying pan - only problem is you have to find somewhere to park where people aren't interested in "hey what ya doing????"

I don't know much about the south.......always lived in New England, the upper mid-west or, now, summers in Canada. But, my wife and I took a trip down to South Carolina about 10 years ago. It was around Easter and I thought that Charleston was one of the lovelyest cities I've ever seen. We're close to retirement so maybe another trip down there to check out winter options is warranted.

ChipTam

f3cbboy said:
hey jd - you can still find some brook trout on bergen county NJ . very few brookies and small tributaries to not so big "rivers" but they still fit in a mess kit frying pan - only problem is you have to find somewhere to park where people aren't interested in "hey what ya doing????"

I had two cops point their guns at me on time, yelling at me to "freeze." It was nighttime and I was pulling some traps out of the Tenakill creek in Tenafly, NJ. Then they told me to "drop my weapon" and I informed them that all I had in my hands were a few traps and a flashlight, and a wooden bat, and the conversation just got more silly after that. "Trapping what", "what the hell is a muskrat", etc. I was legal and I had a NJ trapping license -but I guess I was an anachromism by that time. It was mid-70s.

With brook trout, we always fished the small creeks for them, and many are probably still there. Problem is, the creeks all go through private estates. For bass, rock bass, crappies, etc. we used to fish the Ramapo River - it used to be beautiful there in some spots.

One funny and true story. When I was a kid, my dad told me about when HE was a kid and a bunch of Italian mafia gangsters owned a small lake in Alpine, New Jersey. The boss was Frank Maretti and he had the lake stocked with rainbow and brown trout. He got shot and killed, and his will left the lake and property to the Catholic Church. So, at the time I was told the story, this property was Holy Angels Catholic Girls School. Been private and fenced in since Maretti got his brains blown out. So, me and a few friends got wondering if the trout could of survived all those years and a few days later, we snuck in at 5 in the morning via cutting a hole in the fence. As soon as our lines hit the water, our lines shot out and broke. We lost all our hooks. Next day, we snuck back in with deep sea fishing poles and 20 lb. test line. We were catching 20 -24" rainbows, one after another. We did this for weeks and finallly got caught and arrested. That led to a chain of events. The caretaker decided to drain the pond to get rid of the trout. Well, he found out the bottom wasn't smooth, and once drained, there were big puddles all over, teeming with huge fish. Yes, we snuck in again and started catcing trout by hand. And again, we got caught and arrested. I got two years juvenille probation for it. Later, the caretaker got arrested for putting poison in the lake in an attempt to kill the fish once and for all.
I wonder now if there's any fish left there, or even if Holy Angels is there anymore. Someone told me they thought the Catholics gave it up and Eddie Murphy built a mansion there.

I wanted to move to N.C. for the longest time, but from what I gather at other websites, a whole lot of blacksmiths already moved there, I don't think it is the kind of place that can sustain too many people, all shooting for the same high end metal fab market. Going to try to ride out the storm here on the cape.

I couldn't get over the Southern hospitality when work took me to central Alabama. Wasn't treated quite so well in Augusta Georgia though.

I visit Little Rock on occasion and I see lots of fishing, pizza shacks, and churches. I told the wife I wanted to move there, buy a barge with a minister to preach while people fished and ate our pizzas. Now ya see why I'm not wealthy?
No disrespect intended to anyone.
I've never been insulted in such a friendly manner as when I visit Little Rock. i think it's a hoot.

Want to stay on the coastal`s it seem. Daughter in Carolina, loves it more than me. You got to go inland to get that ole southern hospitality,,and yup I miss it.
"no sir,,,Yes mam" Corner of Texas ,Oklahoma,Louisiana, descent fishing and hunting, woods and parcel of land with barns and cow. get rid of the humidity I`ll go home!

Do NOT come here !!

:coolsmirk:

I'm thinking and looking at Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennesse, etc.

Acreage of 2-5 ( a must for me, gotta have the ponies !) , decent pricing, taxes, and some where close to a Paychex office, so the Dixette can relocate ;-), and just to kick back.

Did I say "Do Not Come Here" ? :roll:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Do NOT come here !!

Acreage of 2-5 ( a must for me, gotta have the ponies !) , decent pricing, taxes, and some where close to a Paychex office, so the Dixette can relocate ;-), and just to kick back.

My neighbor has an old farm with 17 acres. She plans on using it to board horses when she retires. It should work out pretty well for her. There seems to be a lot of folks that own horses around here. There's a horse club a couple hills over.
You don't want to live here though, we're all toofless, inbred and illiterate.

If it weren't for my family ties in Maine, I'd already be living in some remote part of Alaska. Sick and tired of the "nanny state" liberal, gun grabbing, totalitarian, foolishness going on down here. I've spent a year out of the last two in Ketchikan, and Homer, AK. It's likely the only other place I'd ever live in the country. It's like Maine was many years ago. People help each other out when they need it, and mind their own frigging business when they don't.

People don't live right on top of each other in most areas, unless you get into the cities (where they act more and more like people here). There's room to breathe and people don't try to run your life. Try to run someone else's life, and they'll set your compass in a different direction in a hurry.

Greybeard said:

:)
Woodford said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Do NOT come here !!

My neighbor has an old farm with 17 acres. She plans on using it to board horses when she retires. It should work out pretty well for her. There seems to be a lot of folks that own horses around here. There's a horse club a couple hills over.
You don't want to live here though, we're all toofless, inbred and illiterate.

Aye, and that's why you're on the internet ;-)

I got my truck, my trailer, and my horses. I doubt it's a problem.

Oh, and I never get my nails done, any of 'em

You could consider Connecticut, but bring your checkbook! Taxes are unbearable. :lol:

Greybeard said:
Waxhaw NC is nice..... :)
small town feel......
big city nearby....
lots of trees....
no mountains but very hilly..........Is that a word?
The mountains are about 2 hours away as is the coast...
plenty of land to be had..... there is a farm nearby for sale 11,000 acres if you're interested....
avg for a NEW home when we moved here 14 months ago was $100 a square foot, down around 85-90 now How big a home are you looking for?
It hit 72* here today. but it did snow last week and most everything was closed......
In Charlotte area east and south are still fairley rural, still refered to as Indian land.....

If it was me I'd look north of Asheville, Penland area.
Western NY here is pretty, and property is cheap. But no warmer and property taxes are the highest by proportion in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.