Want to learn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

westgateblvd

Feb 5, 2017
Duluth, Mn
Hi. First post. I have a pellet stove now. Have had one for the last 8 years. I am thinking about converting to a wood stove. I will be reading lots of posts here to find out what to look for. I have around 1200 Sq. Ft. in the main living area, and 912 Sq. Ft. in the basement. Other wise it is natural gas. The pellet stove works fine, though if the power goes out. Then so does the pellet stove. That is why I want to move on to a wood stove. I can get Oak, Maple, and Birch pretty cheap, because of a big blow down last year. I have to learn about shields, setbacks the whole deal. Thank You for your time.

Welcome . . . and enjoy the reading as there is a lot of it. There will be a test later in the week (but don't worry, everyone passes since Webfish grades on a curve.)

If you have any specific questions after reading, ask away . . . folks here love to answer questions and there is a great wealth of experience and knowledge here.

Incidentally, not to dissuade you from your plan . . . but there are options so your pellet stove can continue to operate in a power outage . . . generator, inverter with a battery, etc. If you wish to explore this option more the Wood Pellet forum would be a good place to pose a question or two.

Thanks. The pellet stove email I have now seems small. It heats our main floor just fine, but not much else. I also look at the price of pellets compared to the price of seasoned wood. A loggers cord split and chopped is $120. The price of a bag of pellets now days is near $5.00 per 40 Lbs.

Thanks. The pellet stove email I have now seems small. It heats our main floor just fine, but not much else. I also look at the price of pellets compared to the price of seasoned wood. A loggers cord split and chopped is $120. The price of a bag of pellets now days is near $5.00 per 40 Lbs.

While you're reading and learning, put your wood up now. Seasoning time is often the difference between complete frustration and a warm experience. Don't trust tge woodpecker when he says it's seasoned. They often have a different definition.

Now I am other so sure I can get a wood stove, because of height requirements. The lowest of email I have seen is 48", and that is near a garbage burner. I will keep looking though.

Now I am other so sure I can get a wood stove, because of height requirements. The lowest of email I have seen is 48", and that is near a garbage burner. I will keep looking though.
Not sure what this means.

A garbage burner is a stove completely lined with fire brick. I had one in the garage. Fill it up with stuff you can't burn in a wood sto email, and let it go. Only thing to ever get hot was the pipe. Bought it at Sears. Looked like a potbelly stove.

Now I am other so sure I can get a wood stove, because of height requirements. The lowest of email I have seen is 48"

What height requirements are talking about, chimney length or from top of stove?