Was it a Stove Pipe Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zituzupe

Sep 22, 2016
Here
Hi folks,
I started a fire that was, in retrospect, probably a bit too hot. The smoke alarm went off, and I ran downstairs to find the room half filled with smoke that had a strong chemical smell. The smoke was coming off the 90 elbow in the double wall stove pipe. I shut the air down and the smoking stopped almost immediately. Was this a creosote fire? Is the stove safe to use? I've cleaned the pipe, and I don't see any damage inside or out. If it was the paint burning off, I would think there would be some discoloration. I've burned about two cords through the stove this season. Pictures below.

Thanks

Stove setup

Dirty 90 degree elbow

Cleaned 90 degree elbow

Probably just the paint curing off due to a new high temperature. If the fire was in the pipe, the smoke would habe went up the chimney.

Agreed, probably reached a new high temp. Watch the stove for a few fires to see if it's acting differently, which may indicate a cracked weld or warped primary air system.

Even after 6 years any time I hit 650 + I would get that unmistakable scent faintly. Sometimes even a bit of haze.

New temp reached . . . pic of the "dirty" elbow isn't really that dirty and shows no evidence of a fire.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Thanks folks. I'll put another fire in it and report back if things go south.
Don't start the fire with card board.A good draft can suck it up into the pipe where it will burn and smoke and could cause a fire.

Thanks again folks. I built a fire and everything seems fine. I did give it less air. We've had temperatures between 0 and -20, and the draft seems stronger. Wide open in these conditions it seems to really take off.