was the salesman right or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to several 'fireplace' stores today'
In speaking with a salesman, I said I might have to put either ss/flexpipe where my former stove was, because I am not certain of the condition of the chimney. He said that ss or flex is not good for a woodstove because it cannot handle the heat- it is only good for a pellet stove.
What are your expert opinions?

We usd to sneez and say bull chit at the same time when some one made a comment like that. The flex linner is fine for a wood stove. where do people come up with this stuff. you'll be fine guy

ilmbg said:
I went to several 'fireplace' stores today'
In speaking with a salesman, I said I might have to put either ss/flexpipe where my former stove was, because I am not certain of the condition of the chimney. He said that ss or flex is not good for a woodstove because it cannot handle the heat- it is only good for a pellet stove.
What are your expert opinions?

I'm no expert . . . and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . but I did run my woodstove last night with a stainless steel chimney and I didn't burn my house down so that must count for something. :) ;)

My "inexpert" opinion . . . a) listen to the folks here at hearth.com and b) maybe consider looking at another stove shop where the salesman might have a clue about the product he is selling.

Maybe he doesn't understand the difference between aluminum liners and stainless liners? Find someone who knows what they sell and what's available on the market.

I trust my chimney sweep, and he put in an insulated stainless steel liner for my new woodstove, so far the house is still standing...and very warm :)

Yup, pure bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.