Water dripping off my stove pipe up by the ceiling support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
Im hoping for the best and that its nothing major. We installed the pipe. 6" double wall to the ceiling support where the class A extends into the room about 2" pas the cathedral ceiling support, then up to the roof decking where we fabbed up a piece of sheet metal to keep pipe centered in the hole in the roof deck so that it had about 4" on all sides. Then we installed adjustable flashing for 8/12 roof then did high temp silicone where the pip meets the flashing, slid down the ring high temp silcone around that, then roof supports up to the cap. So, Im baffled at how there is water that drips from the pipe on occasion? Tonight when the stove was really firing up it was dripping pretty good for a minute. So, what Im wondering is if its from the blowing snow? Its really really windy here and its been snowing and the roof has snow on it. So Im wondering if the blowing snow isnt dusting into the vent slits on the flashing then running melting on the pipe and running down. What do you think?

Here is a pic to best describe. Sorry its a fuzz on the blurry side.

Attachments

• stovepipe 003.jpg
    stovepipe 003.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 454
I have the same problem but mine only leaks from the box in the center where the pipe connects when it raining...I siliconed everything but i think mine is getting in from the seam of the chimney pipe and traveling down to the support box..maybe thats what is happening to yours too..

Ahh, Ok I will try to notice where the seam is located to see if that might be the culprit. Although its siliconed under the storm coller at the flashing the around the collar its self. But sounds like a real possibility as I know we put the seam to the back right about where the drip is from. If its condensation where or how would it be running down the pipe. The pipe comes out of the roof probably 2-3 ft from the eve, maybe the cold air coming in the eve running across the hot Class A pipe creating condensation???? How hot is the exterior of the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.