Water heating with a Harmon Accentra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucamajuke

Feb 1, 2013
New Haven, Vermont
I've got a Harmon in the basement and am considering either installing a water pipe in the stove or converting my boiler to run pellets with a Ulma or Pellx burner. Either way I'm putting in bulk storage so I can stop lugging bags.

The pros of converting the boiler are that it's already plumbed into my distribution and in both the Ulma and Pellx, I'm working with a known entity. Cons would be that it costs upward of $3,500 to upgrade, plus the storage bin costs.

Pros of converting the pellet stove are cheap pipe, used water heater to store heat and oil backup in case I go on vacation. Cons are the unknowns of running a pipe into an Accentra (?) Which brings me here...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't think there is a crosslink for Accentra. Unit needs a fair amount of stove space and ability to clean properly. Love the unit in my pc45 though. Was a balmy -26 this morning and was still 67 upstairs with the slab having been heated to 78. One bag night.

This site has several different size coils...

http://www.hilkoil.com/

I'm not sure how to size the pipe for the stove but I figured the 18s or the 16t should work inside the stove, having measured the interior. Cleaning would be an issue if the pipe were to run in front of the burn pot so I'll avoid that and make sure I can remove the ash bin. I think when it comes time to do the annual cleaning (remove the back plates and vacuum all) I would drain the pipe and remove in order to access all. Makes the pellet conversion for the boiler look better and better, although there is some cleaning there too. Doubt it entails draining anything though.

What sort of pipe does the crosslink kit come with?

Large mixing block and stainless loops. More than one wants to carry with one arm. Another cool night of -13. No propain or electric for heat here.

Status
Not open for further replies.