Water inside LP fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dunstanlanders

Oct 8, 2023
Maine
I have water getting into the bottom of my fireplace insert which became evident when it fried the electronics that regulate the fan and pilot (heard fan on and running erratically for no reason). After turning LP supply and electric to the unit off, I’ve been on an 1 year odyssey with finding the water source and solution. I’m certain water is coming during rain or snow events.

My setup is as follows - I have a 3 year old Kozy Heat Chaska 32 in a brick fireplace venting up a 40 ft exterior chimney (gable end). The venting is a co linear flex liner with high wind duravent terminal cap. I’m told by the installer that they only ran the fresh air intake co linear flex partly way up the flue, whereas the exhaust runs the whole way to the dura vent terminal cap. There is loose insulation above the appliance around the two co linear flex, but it is definitely not airtight or completely sealed. I have an oil boiler venting up an adjacent chimney clay tiled line flue. I have on occasion smelled subtle oil exhaust through the fireplace that I attribute to downdraft and pressure issues (yes I have CO monitoring and yes I know this is not good! But it was a major reason why we chose to purchase the new insert, which we thought would seal off our air issue). I did have crown issues which have now been addressed with brand new fiberglass reinforced mortar crown. Since the original event, I’ve found water in the bottom of the unit only when both co linear vents are hooked up to the appliance. Water has been found inside the exhaust side of the co linear but not the fresh air intake. This argues that water is getting pulled down the exhaust line through the terminal cap, likely in the setting of a downdraft, My questions are - a) should the fresh air intake co linear have been ever put partially up the chimney instead all the way to the terminal cap (and why was this done?) b) with a preexisting occasional downdraft issue exacerbated by oil boiler kicking on (is in its own flue), tight house, exterior cold chimney, radon fan, bathroom fans etc, is it possible that that rain from the area above cap is getting pulled down the exhaust vent co linear because the system is not truly direct vent. In other words when boiler kicks on, perhaps air (and rain/mist) is getting pulled down exhaust up through air intake and into the house through chimney bc fresh air intake isn’t sealed to outside like it should’ve been?

I realize this is a long winded post but it has been a long and frustrating road getting here. I’ve talked with the stove shop that installed this as well as chimney guys in the area that have been here to look at it. Everyone is a bit flummoxed.

Thanks for any advice or ideas

IMG_8127.jpeg IMG_8128.jpeg IMG_8125.jpeg IMG_8123.jpeg