LP Fireplace Insert Not Starting Properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffmartin1015

Dec 15, 2023
Pennsylvania
I recently installed a KozyHeat Chaska 29 LP Fireplace Insert in my old existing wood fireplace/chimney, and it is having difficulty starting up during cold/windy days. All connections are solid, and I actually fabricated my own chimney cap. With the chimney cap, I used(2) 3" duct 90 deg elbows and put them facing 180deg from one another, to prevent the cold air intake from drawing the exhaust into the unit. My concern is that since the inlet and outlet of these separate ducts are horizontal, they're open which allows wind into the ducts, causing a backdraft, which is otherwise giving the unit difficulty when starting up. On warmer/less windy days, it starts up no problem and runs great. Its in the mid 20's now and windy, and it takes about 15 minutes to get the flame to stay on, on its lowest setting. After a few minutes, once all is warmed up, i can increase the flame and turn on the blower. I need to know if it seems more likely that it is wind causing my issues, or cold. If wind is the concern, my plan is to add a windscreen to my chimney cap, 3" in front of the exhaust and cold air intake. If the issue is the cold, the only thing i can think to do is add insulation just below the chimney cap - although i have been told that doing this creates a cavity that could experience condensation and eventually moisture/mold issues. Note - there is insulation (Rockwool) installed above the insert around the (2) 3" ducts. I basically packed rockwool above the old damper on the smoke shelf and screwed sheet metal to the old damper so the insulation would stay in place. Let me know what you think!

Chimney Cap.jpg 409378833_692204739356662_1155170037441397795_n.jpg

I recently installed a KozyHeat Chaska 29 LP Fireplace Insert in my old existing wood fireplace/chimney, and it is having difficulty starting up during cold/windy days. All connections are solid, and I actually fabricated my own chimney cap. With the chimney cap, I used(2) 3" duct 90 deg elbows and put them facing 180deg from one another, to prevent the cold air intake from drawing the exhaust into the unit. My concern is that since the inlet and outlet of these separate ducts are horizontal, they're open which allows wind into the ducts, causing a backdraft, which is otherwise giving the unit difficulty when starting up. On warmer/less windy days, it starts up no problem and runs great. Its in the mid 20's now and windy, and it takes about 15 minutes to get the flame to stay on, on its lowest setting. After a few minutes, once all is warmed up, i can increase the flame and turn on the blower. I need to know if it seems more likely that it is wind causing my issues, or cold. If wind is the concern, my plan is to add a windscreen to my chimney cap, 3" in front of the exhaust and cold air intake. If the issue is the cold, the only thing i can think to do is add insulation just below the chimney cap - although i have been told that doing this creates a cavity that could experience condensation and eventually moisture/mold issues. Note - there is insulation (Rockwool) installed above the insert around the (2) 3" ducts. I basically packed rockwool above the old damper on the smoke shelf and screwed sheet metal to the old damper so the insulation would stay in place. Let me know what you think!

View attachment 320733 View attachment 320734
These units are designed, built, and tested using complete venting systems using only the parts specified by the manufacturer for that unit.
You need the correct termination cap.