Water leaking in / around my fieldstone chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott in IN

Dec 27, 2007
Indiana
I've got a major mess in the makes, my chimney is leaking water when it rains.

It's leaking inside the chimney (I think it's called a chase) and it's leaking outside the chimney where it meets the ceiling in one corner. I initially thought that the flashing on the roof was the problem, I checked / patched where necessary and I've still got a water problem. My chimney cap is metal, possibly it's leaking but it's too high up for me to check. I guess another possibility is that the mortar is wicking water from outside to inside the chimney. Regardless I need someone to come out and fix it....

So, should I call a roofer or a mason? I'm leaning toward the mason but it's about to get cold and masonry repairs might be problematic.

Thoughts from the group?

Hard to say without a picture of the chimney cap. It sounds like a poor installation. Whether a mason or roofer, you need trained and experienced eyes on it.

Mine leaked too until I patched up my crown. I'm going to have to redo it sometime, but right now it's patched and not leaking. Mine was inside and out too. Water seems to run everywhere when it gets down in the bricks and the clay liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.