Water softener recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
As of recently my water softener has taken a crap. And apparently I have a rather small space for today's softeners sizes. The my softener is in a small utility closet. I only have a 10" x 10" maximum space for the filter and a 12" x 14" maximum space for the brine tank. I don't believe I can fit a 1 piece softener in the space allotted. I had my water tested today and they told me I would need at least a 30,000 grain softener. Does anyone have any suggestion for a good water softener that can fit in the space I have?

Here's a picture of the current setup.

20190101_172646.jpg

Fleck 5810 SXT. I would stop over to the Terry Love plumbing forum.

Reactions: warno
The brine tank is the big problem. Most "filter" tanks are less than 10".

Anywhere else you can put this thing? Out in the garage?

https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/softener-5900-bt-series/water-softener-5900-bt-32k-grain-9x48.html

I use these guys for residential water treatment. Have had great service.

The tank is 9" diameter so that's fine but the brine tank is not exactly 12x14 but 13x13 or there's an 18" diameter round one. There are several options for brine tank sizes and maybe one can fit. Or you can use your old one. If none of their options fit then call them up, even email them, they are in CA and have been responsive when I've needed help.

If I did my math right (Pythagorean theorem) your 12x14 space should accommodate a round tank with a diameter of 18.25" so the 18" diameter tank would fit. It looks like a go!

I recently built a house and did a bunch of research and found Fleck as highly recommended. I installed the system I mentioned. There is a lot of support to help configure the settings on the internet.

I think you might be able to find a similar sized Fleck softener with a more modern controller.

Nice first post on your first day as a member. Sure sign of spambot troll!

There are people and/or robots that look for posts on forums using keywords related to their products. They then become members to post links so that they will make money from either clicks or the actual sale of that product. You can often tell it’s a keyword spambot because the the thread is really old like this one from 2 years ago, indicating that the reader actually dug up this old thread by searching for it to post his link and not to help the person posting who is long gone.

Yes, it is theoretically possible that the poster is a legitimate human too.

This is why many forums require a certain time period of membership prior to posting, starting a thread, or even that your first post(s) be reviewed by mods prior to posting.

If you’re real ncllnck, how about filling out your signature and posting to introduce yourself and your setup in the hearth forums. We can always use more members.

Last edited:
I don't know how to fill out my signature, I'm new.

This post was titled "water softener recommendations?". I just don't understand how providing a recommendation on this thread, regardless of how old it may be, is considered a spambot. Wouldn't my first post be a great response since I provided a recommendation that's a newer model than the previous recommendations on this thread?

It is perfectly relevant and provides value.

I bought a fleck online and replaced an old culligan system. It's been a great unit and takes care of our needs

I don't know how to fill out my signature, I'm new.

This post was titled "water softener recommendations?". I just don't understand how providing a recommendation on this thread, regardless of how old it may be, is considered a spambot. Wouldn't my first post be a great response since I provided a recommendation that's a newer model than the previous recommendations on this thread?

It is perfectly relevant and provides value.
There are a lot of "guard dogs" on this site who protect it like it's their own. That's a feature I like !
I've been barked at myself, so I can probably help you out:
---Introduce yourself. A simple "Hi, it's my first post" or "I know this is a stale post, but..." goes a long way.

That's it.
Welcome to the Forum where I've learned a ton. :cool: