Water softener gray water drain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
HI, I take this opportunity to ask you experts, I have an Imhoff septic tank of about 5k liters where is sent bathrooms, kitchen, washing machines, everything except the gutters and drains. Now, since the ebb water I have to discharge at the edge of my land, I thought of applying a 1000 liter cockpit, to be filled with plastic pellets for the settlement of bacteria, will this make a difference on the "quality" of this water? Thank you

Not my area of expertise, but to clear up for someone who's more well-versed, let's clean up two of the terms:

1. I assume "ebb water" is water discharged from septic tank to drain field?

2. "Cockpit" is a second tank or reservoir?

Also, for those who don't already know, 5000 liters is a little over 1300 gallons.

Reactions: Prometeo
Thank you, Yes exactly the water discharged from the septic tank (1300 gallons) before discharging into the drain I would like to apply a concrete pit from 265 gallons, with material suitable for bacteria settlement, if the water improves, or if it won't help! the septic tank is new and not in use, the house (3 apartments) will be able to accommodate a maximum of 10 people, 4 for start in the next months. Thanks

I'm sure someone who knows this stuff better than me will be along to give a better answer. Your idea sounds plausible, but the devil is always in the details.

I'm just surprised that a 1300 gallon tank is specified for 10 people in new construction. We have a 1000 gallon tank at our house, single home with only 4 residents in 4 bedrooms, with 3.5 bathrooms. Every septic company who's ever been here wastes time telling me we must have a second tank hiding around here somewhere, that "no one has a house this big on only one 1000 gallon tank", but it's an older setup. Seems most new houses around here have at least two 1000 - 1500 gallon tanks.

Thank you,
here in Italy, this septic tank is given for 40 people, but i knew it was overrated, even if I believed not so much!
It is circular, 2 meters in diameter by 2 meters in height, can reach 1500 gallons but no more, whereas it can't fill up completely. Had I known this earlier I probably would have had a 50cm ring added.
My priority would be not to pollute the soil, from soaps especially, I hope the water discharged will be clean enough.

I suppose with 40 people on a tank that size, it must be emptied frequently? The expectation in my township is that tanks are emptied once every 3 years, so I suppose they’re sized for that plus safety margin.

40 people is an estimate from the seller, according to him it almost never needs emptying, however where I live now, and a similar septic tank, a little smaller, and 10 people, it needs to be emptied every year. Mine could probably have been bigger but it's not certain that there will be 10 people in this next house, maybe 2, or 10 it's a country house, designed for family, but the future is difficult to say, it was a big house, and taking advantage of the renovation I divided into a large apartment and two small ones, I couldn't think of heating everything for just one family, my luck if I really need a bigger septic tank I have space in the ground, I don't have to break concrete, it's quite easy. With this septic tank in 4 people, current, we should get to 3 years or even something beyond, however I plan to use enzymes which seem to reduce the sludge and prolong these operations. Sorry for many words and.
Thank you

Reactions: Ashful
HI, I take this opportunity to ask you experts, I have an Imhoff septic tank of about 5k liters where is sent bathrooms, kitchen, washing machines, everything except the gutters and drains. Now, since the ebb water I have to discharge at the edge of my land, I thought of applying a 1000 liter cockpit, to be filled with plastic pellets for the settlement of bacteria, will this make a difference on the "quality" of this water? Thank you

After the effluent leaves the septic tank does it enter a drainfield of some sort? Rock filled trenches? Or does it dump into a "drain" as you say meaning a storm or sewer utility?

In the US, the effluent from the septic tank is still quite polluted and receives aerobic digestion from the bugs in the dry drainfield before soaking into the ground. Where a drainfield cannot be built and maintained aerobic due to high groundwater levels we often see aerobic digesters after the septic tank. These aerobic digesters use blowers to inject and stir oxygen into the effluent to provide that final step of cleaning before discharge into the environment. Sometimes they even use sprinklers!

In your shoes I would follow the regulations from your government. Surely there is someone to tell you what to do since many folks would have no problem dumping into a ditch without such regulations.

After the effluent leaves the septic tank does it enter a drainfield of some sort? Rock filled trenches? Or does it dump into a "drain" as you say meaning a storm or sewer utility?

In the US, the effluent from the septic tank is still quite polluted and receives aerobic digestion from the bugs in the dry drainfield before soaking into the ground. Where a drainfield cannot be built and maintained aerobic due to high groundwater levels we often see aerobic digesters after the septic tank. These aerobic digesters use blowers to inject and stir oxygen into the effluent to provide that final step of cleaning before discharge into the environment. Sometimes they even use sprinklers!

In your shoes I would follow the regulations from your government. Surely there is someone to tell you what to do since many folks would have no problem dumping into a ditch without such regulations.
Thanks a lot, I'm in the countryside, the purification will have to be managed by me from start to finish. At the current state I only have the septic tank installed, I have to make a trench with rocks, and I would be respectful of the law, However, I bought a 1 cubic meter concrete well, to be positioned between the septic tank and the trench with rocks, to be filled with special plastic balls, to better clean the effluent coming out of the septic tank before it goes into the trenches. In your opinion does it make sense or is it completely useless?

Thanks a lot, I'm in the countryside, the purification will have to be managed by me from start to finish. At the current state I only have the septic tank installed, I have to make a trench with rocks, and I would be respectful of the law, However, I bought a 1 cubic meter concrete well, to be positioned between the septic tank and the trench with rocks, to be filled with special plastic balls, to better clean the effluent coming out of the septic tank before it goes into the trenches. In your opinion does it make sense or is it completely useless?
Completely useless.

You would be better off making an effluent filter out of that tank. That is required now in most if not all of the US. It's a fine mesh screen for the effluent as it leaves the septic tank to prevent solids from entering the rock drainfield and blocking up the absorptive surfaces below.