Water treatment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie Dunlap

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2005
Northern Vermont
Does anyone add anything to the water in their storage tank? I have hard water and am worried about clogging up the flat plate heat exchanger. Would water softener salt help?

Should I be worried about corrosion? I have aluminum fin tube and copper heat exchangers submersed in hot water-that sounds like a recipe for some type of corrosion but I don't know what to do about it. I've thought about a zinc sacrificial anode like they use for outboard motors.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reggie

PH is critical. Make sure your water is between 8.2-8.8. If not, you can add 2 lb.s of baking soda to a tank of 600-1200 gal. Watch out for electrolysis. An annode would help. The only real way to know is to have your water analyzed professionally.

Reggie your gonna give you family leprosy.

I bought a couple small anodes and put them in the tank. I'll keep an eye on them to see if they get eaten up. One was magnesium, one was zinc.

ABG-
They may get leprosy, but they'll be the warmest lepers around.

hehe :) a warm leper is a happy leper

Status
Not open for further replies.