We were told our chimney needs to be torn down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bloodweiser

Jun 12, 2021
upstate ny
At some point, the first 8 feet of our chimney was painted,
we've been told there's no saving it.

The front of our house is a disaster anyway,
and we had slated a fairly full makeover in the near future before knowing the chimney was a goner.

1. Is there any important information I should know before tearing down a chimney?

The Mrs. is liking the idea, and I believe I am too, of a metal chimney as a replacement.
I am thinking of running it exactly where the chimney is now, and building a chase for the near full length, ground to roof.

2. Is there any specific knowledge I need for the chase? I'm thinking simple framing, sheathing, and siding, treating it like an exterior wall that terminate near the roof (above of below?) How much clearance between the pipe the chase?

Oil furnace is in the basement where it enters the masonry.
Am I right in thinking It would be OK to leave the below grade bricks?

For an oil furnace, do we need a Class A pipe?

I'm new to all this, but a fairly advanced homeowner. I feel like I have a lot to learn.
Appreciate any guidance you all could give, even if it just some trusted links!

IMG_0772.jpg

At some point, the first 8 feet of our chimney was painted,
we've been told there's no saving it.

The front of our house is a disaster anyway,
and we had slated a fairly full makeover in the near future before knowing the chimney was a goner.

1. Is there any important information I should know before tearing down a chimney?

The Mrs. is liking the idea, and I believe I am too, of a metal chimney as a replacement.
I am thinking of running it exactly where the chimney is now, and building a chase for the near full length, ground to roof.

2. Is there any specific knowledge I need for the chase? I'm thinking simple framing, sheathing, and siding, treating it like an exterior wall that terminate near the roof (above of below?) How much clearance between the pipe the chase?

Oil furnace is in the basement where it enters the masonry.
Am I right in thinking It would be OK to leave the below grade bricks?

For an oil furnace, do we need a Class A pipe?

I'm new to all this, but a fairly advanced homeowner. I feel like I have a lot to learn.
Appreciate any guidance you all could give, even if it just some trusted links!

View attachment 279515
To me it looks like it needs atleast a roofline up rebuild repointing and probably a liner. It absolutely may be cheaper to replace it. Yes you can leave the masonry untill just above grade but that section will need a liner then a transition plate to change over to class a chimney

looks like it needs a cricket ...that chimey is tough too waterpoof...two roofs and sidewall...terrible location
anyway you can convert to gas and power vent out instead of a chimney?

Are you planning a future wood stove?

When the bricks start coming down the soot in basement will spread.... make sure you cover important items...

please let us know what you get for quotes...

What is the age of the furnace? If it is older and inefficient, consider replacing it with a high-efficiency unit that can vent out of PVC piping and eliminate the chimney on the front of the house altogether. It will save fuel and clean up the front of the house nicely.

What is the age of the furnace? If it is older and inefficient, consider replacing it with a high-efficiency unit that can vent out of PVC piping and eliminate the chimney on the front of the house altogether. It will save fuel and clean up the front of the house nicely.
Oil can't be vented with PVC. If gas is available that would be a good option.

Furnace is just over a year old.
Sadly, when we were talking to several heating outfits regarding replacement, no one looked at the chimney, or discussed related options.

Had one quote so far, $5900 class A "installed".
Which apparently, does not include tear down of the old chimney, or fixing the gaping hole it would leave, or building any sort of chase, basically just erecting the metal pipe. Seems like a hell of a labor cost.

I missed the oil furnace note in the original posting.

$5900 is a stiff bill for just a class A chimney. As bholler pointed out, a stainless liner in the existing chimney (repointed) would be much less expensive.

Yes $5900 is way high if it is just for the class a and install. If it includes tear down and disposal it probably isn't to out of line.

Reactions: webby3650
My full tear down and class A install will be in this ball park. This included carpentry to repair the void where the old chimney was.
We just did one that was around that price as well

And that included tear down and fixing the void?

Is there any supply chain issues with Class A pipe currently?
Yes that was a complete job without a chase.

Not any that I have run into.

I missed the oil furnace note in the original posting.

$5900 is a stiff bill for just a class A chimney. As bholler pointed out, a stainless liner in the existing chimney (repointed) would be much less expensive.

@bholler how much of a pain is it to repoint vs make a new brick wall professionally speaking? I guess asking more simply which do you prefer? To me it seems repointing a huge surface, like a chimney, might be incredibly tedious.

Just curious!

@bholler how much of a pain is it to repoint vs make a new brick wall professionally speaking? I guess asking more simply which do you prefer? To me it seems repointing a huge surface, like a chimney, might be incredibly tedious.

Just curious!
Repointing is way easier. On a chimney that size where I could setup pump jacks cutting and pointing that would be maybe 6 hours depending upon how hard the existing mortar was. I doubt it is hard by the look of it. A rebuild would be 2 days 500 in brick and 2 to 300 in disposal. The chimney in question definitely needs rebuilt roofline up atleast though not just repointing. And the porch roof complicates the setup to be able to work

$5200 was the quote on a masonry chimney, that's with me removing the existing chimney and the porch.
Looks like we're heading this route. This is roadside, so aesthetics is playing a larger role.

Looking for some guidance on the liner next.
We had a quote of $2500 for a liner, which to me sounds steep....?
Is there any specific technical skill involved? Seems like you just slide it down there.
My research is seeming to show two options of insulating: blankets or a masonry mix (Thermix?), is one better than the other?

Thanks again!

$5200 was the quote on a masonry chimney, that's with me removing the existing chimney and the porch.
Looks like we're heading this route. This is roadside, so aesthetics is playing a larger role.

Looking for some guidance on the liner next.
We had a quote of $2500 for a liner, which to me sounds steep....?
Is there any specific technical skill involved? Seems like you just slide it down there.
My research is seeming to show two options of insulating: blankets or a masonry mix (Thermix?), is one better than the other?

Thanks again!
For oil or gas we typically use thermix. Wood we usually use blanket