Weeping Cherry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
I need to take down a sick old weeping cherry tree. Rotted branches are falling off and the trunk split and thick sap was oozing out. Is the wood valuable to woodworkers if it is any good? Is it good in the stove?

b553b7e32f262258e381839ce720deaf.jpg
0e6136c8e2d35f08c1aa437a7fa564bc.jpg

If it's like black cherry, moderate btu's and will dry in one years time.

I've burned allot of black cherry. This is an ornamental tree. They call it a weeping cherry because it has blossoms like cherry blossoms.

Is it a yellowy color with fairly dark bark? If so, Is have some of it stacked that I picked up from the dump this summer. It felt like decent wood when I was processing it, for whatever it's worth.

Weeping cherry is an ornamental tree. It's a grafted tree. The main trunk is usually like sweet cherry or another ornamental cherry stock, then they graft the weeping cherry to that. In my experience it's normally not as good as black cherry. But btu's are btu's especially if it's in your yard

Reactions: Tom123
It's more yellow than cherry color. I had a 3 year old stack I burned this year. It burned great like regular black cherry.

That's one gnarly nasty tree. This one's gonna make you sweat.

Still, it's got some easy to process sections.
From what I've read over the last year many of the stovers here like the stuff, tho.

I took it down today. Maybe a 1/5 cord. Wood is similar to Black Cherry and Apple. Definitely some disease. 4637e1b72561ccda877903d7b027c0bb.jpgb38c1176838b947e8cd3f6daa4667e8c.jpgcae5490813a3bbb71efa710aef44bfe4.jpg26cf024b6d889192243ea9dafc53f276.jpg

Good firewood. Weeping cherry has a short life, maybe 20 years. I cut ours down for firewood when it started dropping branches. A new tree grew from the stump, but it won't be long before it meets its end.

Reactions: Tom123
Good firewood. Weeping cherry has a short life, maybe 20 years. I cut ours down for firewood when it started dropping branches. A new tree grew from the stump, but it won't be long before it meets its end.
The tree that grew from the stump won't be a weeping tree. It will be a standard cherry

No doubt. I've got the top of the trunk where all the branches were. That is one knarly piece of wood. I also noticed that the lower sucker branches seemed to be different than the weeping part.