weight of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malak

Jul 30, 2008
North Central CT
I'm going straight up thru my living room ceiling and thru
the roof with the official kit to do such and I'm using the
20 pound each, 3' sections, of double-insulated pipe.

My question is what is really supposed to be supporting
the weight of all that chimney vertically? Is it really the
stove i.e. you can't move the stove for any reason without
diassembling the pipe first or is it the "socket" in the ceiling
adaptor where the wide end DSP pipe adaptor sits? I think
regardless, I'm going to put some straps in the attic in case
I forget 5 years from now and get 60 pounds of chimney
crashing thru my ceiling.

thanks

There should be no support from the stove. All the support will be in the "socket" as you call it from the ceiling support. I used Selkirk chimney and the instructions said it will hold up to 50 feet of chimney sections. That's quite a bit. I used 13 feet of chimney. I think you be fine as long as you don't exceed what the instructions say. I was more worried about wind action outside since I had about 7 feet of chimney exposed from the roof. I had to install a brace.

Yeah, I already came to that conclusion, and bought some angle braces to reinforce the framing I did for the socket.

Thanks!

No problem. Sounds like you got a handle on things. My install went OK, but keep in mind before you completely nail or screw in the ceiling support to your frame to re-check to see that the ceiling support it is level left to right and front to back. I was just a bit off because I did not double check from front to back. It wasn't off enough for me to worry about though. I used screws instead of nails. Much easier to use screws inside the support box than nails. Also, easier to remove than nails in case of a screw-up or removal later. I pre-drilled the metal tabs on the ceiling support. It was easier for me to screw or nail through the pre-drilled holes.

It sounds like we really think alike because I use drywall screws for everything!

Did you notice that if you put the clamp on the DSP adaptor then the end won't
fit down into the "socket"? I think I'm going to just seal it with that Home Depot
fire sealant instead.

Good point about it being level, but even more important is making sure the adaptor
that slides against the ceiling is flush before you screw it to the frame.

I had to measure 112 inches from my attic hatch to the living room and I made a
1/8" hole and bingo! The stove exit was directly below. Whew! LOL

Malak said:
Did you notice that if you put the clamp on the DSP adaptor then the end won't
fit down into the "socket"? I think I'm going to just seal it with that Home Depot
fire sealant instead.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. What brand are you using? I used the Supervent stuff they sell at Lowe's, so it may be a bit different if you are using something else.

I probably measured everything a hundred times to make sure I was going to cut holes in the right spot. A little nerve racking to cut a big hole in the ceiling and roof, but not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.