Weight of Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
Been cutting a lot of Red Oak lately. I was curious about what the weight was. I just knew it was HEAVY. I took a piece that was cut to 16" in length with a diameter of 21". I split it and weighed each split. It came to 154.4 lbs. Just some fun facts to know.

For sure. Check the weight of it for a full cord of green oak. It is an eye opener for sure. Be sure to give that oak several years to dry before trying to burn it. Get it split asap.

Backwoods Savage said:
For sure. Check the weight of it for a full cord of green oak. It is an eye opener for sure. Be sure to give that oak several years to dry before trying to burn it. Get it split asap.

Yep , heavy stuff. I'm just about done splitting almost 5 cords of it. This won't be burned for at least 3 or 4 years.

Even dry that stuff is heavy. Forget about when fresh. Best all around wood; availability, splitting, BTUs and fragrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.