Well I think I know what happens next...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randallflagg

Jan 1, 2017
NH
So now that I have identified that I have a Franklin stove, surrounded by brick, its now time to figure out the next step.

I started chipping away to see what was going on behind there and I am now pretty sure there's no firebox and it was just bricked right over the top of it.

So I am pretty sure I have to take all the interior brick down, the chimney is outside so the brick only starts at the ceiling. Any advice for demo? just start whacking at the mortar and pull the bricks out?

Where fireplace meets ceiling:
WP_20170130_15_11_28_Pro-e1485809266882.jpg

Started chipping and stopped!
WP_20170130_15_39_31_Pro-e1485809276501.jpg

Some views inside:
WP_20170130_15_10_01_Pro-e1485809258853.jpg
WP_20170130_15_09_48_Pro-e1485809246766.jpg

Just chip away enough mortar to pull out the stove. It may have the boot on top which many times can be removed from inside the stove. Pull it out and see what you have.

Just chip away enough mortar to pull out the stove. It may have the boot on top which many times can be removed from inside the stove. Pull it out and see what you have.

So you think that is safe? Even though there is likely no lintel?

This was the original plan to really get a good look.

Can you cut the mortar with an angle grinder and install a steel angle iron lintel?

What makes you think there is no lintel? How was it built without one?

It looks like it was built on top of the stove.

Can you cut the mortar with an angle grinder and install a steel angle iron lintel?

I could probably install one but I would need to spend some time figuring out what I am doing as I am a novice when it comes to anything relating to a fireplace. I would also need to pick up some angle iron.

It looks like it was built on top of the stove.
Not to me I can see a different mortar just above the stove which tells me the brick was there then the stove was slid an and mortared fast.

I'm certainly willing to knock it all out and see what happens, even if it does sag a bit its not the end of the world. No one stays in that room as it's unfinished for now. Certainly they could have taken a row of brick out to fit this stove then stuffed some concrete under the mortar to fill the void. All I want to avoid is too much falling on me.

Once I get this all chipped off next weekend I'll try to pull that SOB out of there, but I still haven't come up with a plan for that yet. I really hope it doesn't have legs on it.

Once I get this all chipped off next weekend I'll try to pull that SOB out of there, but I still haven't come up with a plan for that yet. I really hope it doesn't have legs on it.
The stove itself is pretty much junk. They do make pretty good outdoor fireplaces though.

I'm certainly willing to knock it all out and see what happens, even if it does sag a bit its not the end of the world. No one stays in that room as it's unfinished for now. Certainly they could have taken a row of brick out to fit this stove then stuffed some concrete under the mortar to fill the void. All I want to avoid is too much falling on me.
That is possible even if there is no lintel it is very unlikely that the whole thing will collapse it is a running bond so if any do fall it should just be a few.

This is interesting. Doesn't appear there is a lintel. But then again it appears that it was a fireplace that someone removed a course or two and notched to accommodate the stove.

This is interesting. Doesn't appear there is a lintel. But then again it appears that it was a fireplace that someone removed a course or two and notched to accommodate the stove.
The lintel would typically be hidden on the back side there could still be one there but maybe not. I find it hard to believe that there would not be some cracking in the mortar if there was no lintel though.

Once you get the stove out you could put in a wood frame to support the brick while you figure out what to do. There may have been a lintel which was cut out because the stove was too high. Or it could be hidden under some of the mortar.
If you have a Harbor Freight store near by you could get an angle grinder with a pack of of cutting wheels for around $30. Maybe you could cut the stove apart as needed to get it out of there. Get some decent eye protection as well, some heavy gloves and a dust mask. A lot of noise and dust so warn the family. Maybe hang some plastic sheeting to keep the dust from blowing around.

Reactions: rdust
I got motivated last night and decided to go for it and found out what I thought. I was really hoping for a fireplace but it's just a stove that was boxed in with brick. Some brick loosened up but nothing dropped.

32648396605_625a1d3398_h.jpg

Under the stove:
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/Qswyob']31805316054_d2e8c1ee88_h.jpg[/url]

Looks like a tear down is needed! Id bput some block for support between the stove and brick then start from the top.

Reactions: rdust
Maybe the lintel is supporting that soldiered course (two layers up from bottom)? On the other hand how did the sweep/clean that set-up?

Now with the diagram I get a clear picture of what you have going on. You're smart to tear this out IMO I'd be curious of what the wall pass through looks like if you happen to take some pics at that point.

I wouldn't demo the brick until the stove is removed. To me it looks like there was a fireplace there once and the Franklin was shoe horned into the opening. Can you get your camera in there and pointed above the back of the franklin to verify you're not tearing into an old retired in place chimney? The demo work might snowball if you start in and realize the brick is more extensive than just what you see on the outside.

I wouldn't demo the brick until the stove is removed. To me it looks like there was a fireplace there once and the Franklin was shoe horned into the opening. Can you get your camera in there and pointed above the back of the franklin to verify you're not tearing into an old retired in place chimney? The demo work might snowball if you start in and realize the brick is more extensive than just what you see on the outside.

The fact that the stove is sitting on my concrete floor propped with bricks affirms this is not a fireplace, and never was. I know where the wall pass though is as I had to re-sheath the outside between the chimney and the walls.

I took a few hits to this "fireplace" on Wednesday to see how much work was going to be involved and it started coming apart rather easily. I am going to be left with one large pile of bricks but maybe I can come up with a use for them.

30 mins on Wednesday night:
31897037763_1c665c2de3_h.jpg

and a little bit today, after I was figuring out some electrical problems...
32587217591_6106ae96e7_h.jpg
31897036503_78e6fd1fb8_h.jpg
Funny, also found a brick that must have been outside at one point as it's the same color as the house (when I bought it anyway).
31897037133_7d5663760b_h.jpg

Reactions: Marshy and Squisher
Oh, I did find an old pic of the pass through from the outside:

31867798484_98c13d6955_o.jpg

Attachments

• 31867798484_325354bd88_h.jpg
    31867798484_325354bd88_h.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 161
Oh, I did find an old pic of the pass through from the outside:
Is that still the way it passes through the wall? If so you have some problems you need an insulated wall thimble.

Is that still the way it passes through the wall? If so you have some problems you need an insulated wall thimble.

Yes, nothing has changed so far, that's the kind of stuff I will need to know when this is all torn down and begin to plan on installing a pellet stove. I should add that I do not, and have never burned anything in this stove.

Got interrupted but managed to do a little more discovering before putting my son to bed. It does have a lintel!
31899822423_c1a2571c3c_h.jpg

Metal plate for the large gap.
32672325646_7b819f2060_h.jpg

Not 100% sure what i am looking at here but it sure is interesting.
32672324446_094c516e28_h.jpg