Well the city has been good to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
The city has been out cutting down trees lately. They leave all the big stuff sit for a few days. If anyone wants it they can have it.
If nobody picks it up they come back and take it. So far I found 3 they have cut down. If this keeps up I may have all of next years
wood before winter. Not that it will stop me from gathering more. I really don't have room for storing it but I can't pass up wood already
cut and ready to split.

Holy Cow! that's wicked excellent...good for you.

Around here it seems the only chance I get to grab free wood from the side of the road is after big storms. All last spring on through summer and even early fall, no big storms so no free wood for me. At this rate my old truck will never come out to play. Two years ago in late October we had 8" of heavy wet snow. Because the white oak in our area still had their leaves, many of them came down. I did well that year!

no man said:
The city has been out cutting down trees lately. They leave all the big stuff sit for a few days. If anyone wants it they can have it.
If nobody picks it up they come back and take it. So far I found 3 they have cut down. If this keeps up I may have all of next years
wood before winter. Not that it will stop me from gathering more. I really don't have room for storing it but I can't pass up wood already
cut and ready to split.

Well at least for once, your tax dollars are working for you ;-)

Where I live, they are looking for places to dump it!! I doubt that will last long. Usually the farmers & friends of the hiway crew get it, till someone complains.
Usually the road crews have more than they know what to do with. I think in winters to come there'll be plenty of takers!!

Since IKE blew through and took out hundreds, possibly thousands of trees the local munincipalities have been turning all the trees into mulch. I mean hundreds of cords worth. There is still more firewood to be cut up and collected than you can shake a stick at.

In the spring everyone puts the stuff they trim out by the road for the city to pick up. I got most of my wood from that.
It took me a while to swallow what pride I had and become a scrounger. Now I can't pass up a pile of wood by the road with
out stopping and picking through it. I do get a little mad though when I read tree removal companies and cities just dumping
the wood off somewhere to rot or for some lucky person to find. Maybe one day I'll find a pile of wood like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.