Well, the stove is worth 10x what I paid for it tonight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
My heater is down. When it gets as cold as it is in South Jersey tonight I have to run my heater along with the stove to keep everyone happy.

Anyway I can smell unburnt fuel when the heater kicks on. The chimney is clean and the water heater is burning fine so I'm guessing the fuel delivery I got today stirred up some crap and my nozzle is clogged. I did see some haze in the basement so I am hoping it is not the heat exchanger. Also there is a small glass port hole to see the flame and that is completely black

I don't expect to get a guy out here tonight, I'm just hoping someone can at least call me back so I can set something up.

We will be sleeping by the stove tonight I guess.

My heater is down.......
I'm guessing the fuel delivery I got today stirred up some crap and my nozzle is clogged.

Been there............ done that (oil delivery/clogged nozzle). Back before we got the woodstove, hubby not in god health, me 'running the show around here' we had the same thing happen. After going through 2 repair companies and blowing out/replacing 3 or 4 nozzles, adding a second filter right on the furnace, running a new fuel feed line, refusing to dump the oil and install a new tank (all of these being separate repair calls) I talked the 3rd repairman into installing a 'stand pipe' inside the oil tank via invoking a tank vacuum so as not to lose any oil. Theory being crud in the bottom of the oil tank and it got stirred up every time we got fuel. Stand pipe worked - we just don't let the oil level get below 1/4 tank.

Of course we don't use the furnace that much anymore 'cept when it's in the below zero temps.

Just had my oil tank replaced last year. The house is 120 years old so tank is old, not 120, but old.
I'd say a quarter of the tank was sludge or whatever. What a job getting that monster out of the basement.!!! Nothing like having that nice wood heat for backup.

The 1100c did a better job then I expected. The wind was blowing and this morning it was 1 degree when I got up around 7 am and the house was 63 degrees. I had to get up at 3 am and reload. This stove needs to be tended at least an hour when reloading and I didn't get back to sleep until close to 5 am.

I need to find a good heater guy. The guy that came was a dud. I used these people for my air conditioning and they were good but I wasn't happy with him today. I can't use the guy that installed the heater any more because he has his kid and a bunch of his friends working for him now and that is another whole story but I won't even let them in my house. I need to find a new guy tomorrow.

I can still smell fuel in the house when the forced air runs but I think it may be because the guy that filled my tank over filled it and I had some leakage in the basement. I do have a carbon monoxide detector sitting on one of my vents. So hopefully we will be safe.

Our neighbor had her pilot go out. She would have lost pipes without the stove. Guy filled empty tank but didn't bleed I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.