Were the First Doors Left Handed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
I've seen two early doors without the "Patent Pending" on them, meaning they are very early doors.

Both doors are left handed. I have never seen a plain door like these that were right handed.

So, were Fisher's first cast iron doors lefty's? We may never know the absolute answer.

Stove door #1 (my early Papa Bear)
IMG_20191112_223123.jpg

Stove door #2 (was on CL in Oregon)
00c0c_faEw4WAiMkI_1200x900.jpg

@coaly , have you seen any of these early plain doors without PAT PEND that were right handed?

I have to believe that you've seen more versions of Fisher stoves than anyone else on this forum. It would be nice to know a timeline for the manufacture dates of these doors.

I’m sorry I can’t help, so storing propane tank on top of stove ?

I’m sorry I can’t help, so storing propane tank on top of stove ?

That got my attention too. Obviously the stove is not being used. I got that picture off Craigslist, so I don't know who owns the stove, or where the stove is now. That ad was posted in Oregon, and I am in northern NY. Why anyone would try to sell a wood stove with a propane tank sitting on it is beyond me.