Western CT 2019 Spring Pellet Sales & Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA
So for I've found
La Crete for $285. Blackstone for $259. The softwoods are all at $300+. On pre-order sale.

This is my first full year with a pellet stove so I don't have a feel for the normal fluctuations and what a good price is. I know in other parts of the country they frequently dip below $250, but I've never, ever seen even junk pellets from Home Depot go that low.

Is $309 for softwood and $259-$285 for Blackstone and La Cretes a good deal? When is the best time to buy for next winter?

Like you're stove I have the red one. I've always bought my pellets from The Big Box stores. I refuse to pay 250 or more for a ton of pellets. The rv100c will burn anything efficiently. I only clean mine every four or five days which takes all of 15 minutes. When pellets get to be 250 or more I might as well turn on the oil furnace.

So for I've found
La Crete for $285. Blackstone for $259. The softwoods are all at $300+. On pre-order sale.

This is my first full year with a pellet stove so I don't have a feel for the normal fluctuations and what a good price is. I know in other parts of the country they frequently dip below $250, but I've never, ever seen even junk pellets from Home Depot go that low.

Is $309 for softwood and $259-$285 for Blackstone and La Cretes a good deal? When is the best time to buy for next winter?

Blackstone pellets this year were around 269 from multiple places although the trend is always up as we know...this is my first year buying ahead of time..just bought 2 tons of Turman and 3 Blackstone from ct pellet....the blackstone burn great in my 52i and I wanted to get my hands on some of the Turman. I look at it this way I can go 2 weeks easily without cleaning with blackstone vs every week with the big box stores..worth the 9 bucks.

Glad I live in Wa State. 175 for Pellets if you go get them. 200 for place that delivers plus 40 delivery.

Probably softwood too? Do you go to the plant?

I bit the bullet and ordered 2 tons from CT Pellet for the fall:
  • $309 for Barefoot & Beautiful 25lb bags
  • $259 for Blackstone
$630 delivered. I'm paying a premium for the 25lb bags but they are easier for me to work with by myself.

Home Depot is selling whatever they sell for $220/ton delivered for 6 tons or more, but I don't have the space to store 6 tons.

Doesn't seem like much of a sale as those are the same prices as last year around September, but at least they have stock.

If you're willing and able to wait for a sales (ie. have the ability to store 1-2 years worth and buy at the right time), you will be able to find a deal at the big box stores for less than $200/ton delivered. This isn't simply bulk buy discounts but also combining coupons, black Friday sales, end of year clearance, negotiating with the local guys, etc. You have to keep looking but I promise you can get it under $200 if you live within 25 miles of a big box store. People here will disagree, but they simply have missed the deals that others have found. If you don't have the ability to store multiple years then you either need to get lucky with timing or pay the higher prices.

Reactions: PelletPractitioner