wet liner insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John B

Sep 26, 2012
Have a strange/annoying problem.

Pulled my stove out and found that my liner insulation is totally wet. So obviously I have to solve the problem of why.

But additionally, looking for opinions on what to do. My first thought is that my first few fires will force it to dry out, but I am concerned there could be an issue with the escape of the vapor. Curious if anyone has thoughts on how I should proceed?

So I went on the roof and cant find any obvious reason why it would be so wet. Cap looked good, didnt appear to be any obvious way for it to get that wet, and I cant imagine its just condensation? Its really strange.

just clarifying that this is the insulation wrap on the flexible liner? What kind of cap do you have ?

Is this just insulation wrapped on the outside or is there a second metal tube covering the insulation?
It seems like it has to be rain leaking in somewhere since what other source of water could there be?

I just a standard SS liner with the insulation blanket wrapped around it.

Its an 8" liner installed in a 12x12 terracotta lined chimney. There is a standard round tall cap. Only thing I can think of is perhaps the cap is too tall or doesnt have enough covering and water is blowing in. I may just need to go look at it when its raining and see what I can figure out.

Im just baffled because I cant see how it would be leaking when it rains.

Reactions: EbS-P
I just a standard SS liner with the insulation blanket wrapped around it.

Its an 8" liner installed in a 12x12 terracotta lined chimney. There is a standard round tall cap. Only thing I can think of is perhaps the cap is too tall or doesnt have enough covering and water is blowing in. I may just need to go look at it when its raining and see what I can figure out.

Im just baffled because I cant see how it would be leaking when it rains.
Did you take any pics of the top?

Just to follow up, I solved the problem.

As it would turn out, something that I did which I thought was a smart move actually ended up being a mistake. When I installed the cap, I didnt caulk where the cap meets the terracotta, thinking there would be no way for water to wick its way inside given there is a lip on the cap that points down below the top of the terracotta and that I could easily remove the cap if needed. That was a mistake. Best I can assume is that negative draft when the stove is not in use would pull water in during a rain storm, or some type of capillary action would pull it in through that location.

To fix it, I opened the cap and let it dry out for a few days, then ran a bead of caulking and reinstalled the cap. After two major rain storms my liner and chimney are dry as a bone.