Wet wood question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I was moving this years wood up to the stacks closer to the house. It's all been cut,split and stacked for a few years. I had it all uncovered and a little family emergency came up and I had to head North for a few days. The few days I was gone it poured and rained. My nice dry wood got rained on for a few days. How can I proceed so I can use this wood this year. Thank you

x2

Reactions: HeatsTwice
Its mostly a messy housekeeping issue. Moving dry wood around and stacking it is lot cleaner than dealing with externally wet wood. The inevitable loose dirt and sawdust turns into mud and when that dries it takes even longer to dry on the outside. I try not to mess with moving wood around if at all possible, when its damp.

Reactions: wetwood4life
I agree with the others. One or two days of rain didn’t hurt it. Somewhere on posts past I remember someone describing it as “throw a dried split in the lake and see how long it takes it to sink”.

I’ll try and sneak a hijack in here. Any idea why a 5” pine split would still be wet when ash and maple in the same stack at bone dry? Been css and covered for 4 years. Single row up off of the ground on racks.

I agree with the others. One or two days of rain didn’t hurt it. Somewhere on posts past I remember someone describing it as “throw a dried split in the lake and see how long it takes it to sink”.

I’ll try and sneak a hijack in here. Any idea why a 5” pine split would still be wet when ash and maple in the same stack at bone dry? Been css and covered for 4 years. Single row up off of the ground on racks.
Tested with a moisture meter? Two rainy days and my pine can soak up a lot of water.

The wood should be fine if out of the rain now. No way in hell should that wood be ruined for this season. Worry not

How much rain ? It should be fine a few days in the sun and wind. Or just uncovered.

Shouldn’t that be css&c; like csn&y?

The problem is trying to dry it outside when you have weather like we've been having where it's been raining for over a week, and when it's not raining it's just been gloomy. Today is the first day I've seen actual sunshine in what seems like a week and a half.

What I've done in the past is just bring it into the garage and keep a box fan blowing on it for a couple days.

Reactions: BigFir
The box fan is a good idea. Everyone basically has one already. I actually do this too if I buy wood from Lowes, ect. Its always wet, but a few days in the wind from the fan and its good to go.

World of difference between "wet" wood and "green" wood. Like it has been said wet wood will dry out in a few sunny windy days. Green wood is a whole other thing. Never thought I would invest time reading about the cell structure of a hunk of wood.