WH-23FS- wont drop pellets til it gets hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brandonjr36

Feb 13, 2020
Joplin missouri
Hey guys first time poster here hope I posted in the right area. I have a breckwell WH-23FS my grandpa had it for years he passed away about 4 years ago. So I have it now. It's about 20 years old. Well here in the last couple of years. It wont drop pellets automatically. I have to manually feed it for about 20-25 minutes then it will automatically feed them. And it will run until I shut it off just fine. Then I have to do it all over again the next time I start the stove. Any suggestions?

If you hold the auger feed button does it feed?
Have you checked the thermal snap switch? removed it and cleaned it?
Have you tested the vac Switch? checked the hose for wear and tear?

If you hold the auger feed button does it feed?
Have you checked the thermal snap switch? removed it and cleaned it?
Have you tested the vac Switch? checked the hose for wear and tear?
I checked the hose it looks good. And yes it will feed if I hold the manual switch. The other 2 things. I have not checked.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same problem
No not yet sadly. I've just been manually feeding it til it kicks in. Wish I could find the problem Tho. I'm thinking about replacing the low limit switch and see if that fixes it. I will definitely let you know if that does. Also if you don't mind letting me know if you find a fix as well that would be greatly appreciated!

Breckwells,and the p23 especially, are known for slowly "plugging up" over time. The leaf blower trick is especially good for cleaning them,along with a mallet. Ash can build up,insulating the proof of fire switch,causing delayed reaction. So,my recommendations are- clean stove well and properly.If you cannot use a leaf blower, or take it outside and use air pressure, be generous with the mallet and sticking wires and brushes into all passage ways and ports. Then remove proof of fire switch clean it, you may even have to sand the part of the stove where the switch contacts it, to remove rust. Just install a new switch,they are cheap, instead of wasting time on the old one. Doesn't hurt to put a dab of antiseeize or never seise on the switch, where it contacts the back of the stove. Then report back,to help others,thanks.

No not yet sadly. I've just been manually feeding it til it kicks in. Wish I could find the problem Tho. I'm thinking about replacing the low limit switch and see if that fixes it. I will definitely let you know if that does. Also if you don't mind letting me know if you find a fix as well that would be greatly appreciated!
OK, So I took the thermo switch off and cleaned it. I then took burn pot out. On both sides of burn pot there are plated with two screws. I had previously removed right side plate to clean ash out of it but didn't realize there was one on left side. I removed it and it was plugged solid with ash just like the left one was last year. Vacuumed extensively and put back together. Fired stove up, heard the cluck immediately, pressed little auger button and it lit up immediately. Stove is running as it should now. Not sure witch one fixed it, but if I had to guess it was cleaning behind covers since that is where all of the thermo switch contact areas are located. Also tried jumping both thermo switches that under left side cover the other day. It didn't help. Hope this helps

OK, So I took the thermo switch off and cleaned it. I then took burn pot out. On both sides of burn pot there are plated with two screws. I had previously removed right side plate to clean ash out of it but didn't realize there was one on left side. I removed it and it was plugged solid with ash just like the right one was last year. Vacuumed extensively and put back together. Fired stove up, heard the cluck immediately, pressed little auger button and it lit up immediately. Stove is running as it should now. Not sure witch one fixed it, but if I had to guess it was cleaning behind covers since that is where all of the thermo switch contact areas are located. Also tried jumping both thermo switches that under right side cover the other day. It didn't help. Hope this helps