What a waste.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Posted the song in the Inglenook forum, if you've got a few minutes. ==c As with a lot of Zappa, you have to listen to it ten times before you even begin to get it.
Infinite and immortal wisdom, as displayed in thoughtful lyrics, like “Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.”

As to creo and chimney sweepings, I leave it in the firebox and convert it to ash. I never understood why people shovel or vacuum that crap out of their stove after sweeping their flue. Burn it!

Infinite and immortal wisdom, as displayed in thoughtful lyrics, like “Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.”
That's the only Zappa you know? That is "strictly from commercial." You're a drummer though..maybe you're tone-deaf. :p ;)

Reactions: SpaceBus

As to creo and chimney sweepings, I leave it in the firebox and convert it to ash. I never understood why people shovel or vacuum that crap out of their stove after sweeping their flue. Burn it!

I burn it whenever possible. Fuel is fuel.

That's the only Zappa you know? That is "strictly from commercial." You're a drummer though..maybe you're tone-deaf. :p ;)

Nah... I’ve got all the classics. Went thru a Zappa phase in college, but only occasionally go back to it. He recorded some brilliant stuff, among the many miles of magnetic tape filled with pure crap. Anyone as prolific is Zappa is going to churn out a few good tunes. My summary: brilliant, but he needed an editor to do some weeding of the collection, before publishing.

my chimney has 10 feet between the stove and clean out. i don't get to shoveling it out every year but from all the creosote that is brushed down there after a while when i do shovel it out it's like pure soil

Anyone as prolific is Zappa is going to churn out a few good tunes.
Like a chimp sitting at a keyboard hitting random keys and producing a doctoral thesis? Not likely, and the chimp is much less like to pound out "a few."
He recorded some brilliant stuff, among the many miles of magnetic tape filled with pure crap.
My summary: brilliant, but he needed an editor to do some weeding of the collection, before publishing.
We who aren't musical geniuses listen through the prism of easily-understood musical laws, innately evident to anyone that can hear relative pitch. Songs constructed from these basics might appeal to most people, including me, and then there are other things I like as well, such as time-signature changes or super-imposed beats (Led Zeppelin "Black Dog" or Zappa "G-spot Tornado") or melodies based on odd-sounding "modes"/scales. The pentatonic mode was one of Zappa's (and my) favorites. Crude but effective. ==c
I believe that geniuses have an innate comprehension that goes far beyond what's available to most of us mortals. It would be like if we went to Stephen Hawking for an explanation of the underlying concepts of physics. What is obvious to these guys would probably be beyond our ability to comprehend, no matter how long we tried.
Zappa said that he produced music based on what appealed to him, and didn't care too much what anyone else thought of it. If you listen to "Black Page 2," in his description he says he composed it for "the people that liked the melody of "The Black Page," but couldn't approach its 'statistical density' in its original form." ;lol But he made fun of a lot of artists that were only able to compose at a basic level, and were only "...In It For The Money."
Given that he was a musical genius, and most of us are probably not, I don't think we're in a position to deem what he produced "many miles of magnetic tape filled with pure crap."
I saw an "Antiques Road Show" once, where someone brought in Zappa memorabilia. The appraiser had met Zappa, and called him "the most intelligent person I've ever met,"...FWIW.
I’ve got all the classics. Went thru a Zappa phase in college, but only occasionally go back to it.
Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested in hearing what are your favorite ten (or whatever) Zappa songs..

still have my Zappa albums from the 60's/70's.

still have my Zappa albums from the 60's/70's.
Yeah, I've got some as well. "Absolutely Free," "We're Only In It For the Money," "Hot Rats," "Waka/Jawaka," "The Grand Wazoo,"....all superb. :) He didn't let up, either...transcendent stuff on later discs as well. Like anyone else, I like some songs better than others. If I was deserted on a desert island, with only one artist's work, there's no doubt who I'm picking.. >>
I've considered getting a USB turntable and ripping some of the old vinyl to digital. As far as Zappa, I may just see what they get for his entire catalogue, in lossless files..

Yeah, I've got some as well. "Absolutely Free," "We're Only In It For the Money," "Hot Rats," "Waka/Jawaka," "The Grand Wazoo,"....all superb. :) He didn't let up, either...transcendent stuff on later discs as well. Like anyone else, I like some songs better than others. If I was deserted on a desert island, with only one artist's work, there's no doubt who I'm picking.. >>
I've considered getting a USB turntable and ripping some of the old vinyl to digital. As far as Zappa, I may just see what they get for his entire catalogue, in lossless files..
Well, just confirms that one man's trash is another man's treasure (-8.

Well, just confirms that one man's trash is another man's treasure (-8.
Hmmm, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before, but where... ;lol

Reactions: Mech e