What a waste.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Where are all the tree huggers and fake environmentalists now? Sickening.

Where are all the tree huggers and fake environmentalists now? Sickening.
Here I am! ;) Yeah, we humans do a lot of stupid, wasteful things in pursuit of entertainment. We can only hope it was not seasoned wood. ;lol Or maybe we should hope it was; Maybe then it would burn cleaner. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we humans do a lot of stupid, wasteful things in pursuit of entertainment.
It would be difficult to overstate this point. We all do it, but we rarely admit it.
A nice little house could have been framed up for someone in need with all that lumber, and would be more in line with Christmas spirit than a fancy celebration of some meaningless myth ("Papa Noel").

It would be difficult to overstate this point. We all do it, but we rarely admit it.
I'll admit it; I may have just done something stupid.
I just saw a pan of "ash" I had outside, and pitched it in the woods. I forgot that I had set it out there to cool, and was going to send it to the landfill since it had creo in it that I had scraped from the inside of the stove. I'm thinking I mighta done wrong, adding it to the environment..

Sincere question: are we supposed to not dump creosote/flue sweepings in the same way we do ashes (I put my ashes on the garden, or on the compost pile, after fully cooled)?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well, I'm pretty sure it's carcinogenic if we were to eat it, but maybe it breaks down out there?

maybe it breaks down out there?
That's what I've been assuming, but I guess I never thought too hard about it. I'm pretty rigorous about keeping non-biodegradables out of the environment, but pretty lax about stuff that seems like it will turn to dirt fairly quickly.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue
I have been tossing my chimney sweepings in the trash.

I put it in my driveway. The ash and creo acts like cement.

But yeah, I hate seeing this kind of waste. I don't even burn brush anymore instead opting to shred it and return the carbon to the soil, or make a nice place to walk.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
We have an occasion fire pit here, and I burn a few Pine splits that would be better used for kindling. and then there' that black smoke that comes off of it. I guess I could do better. It sure looks nice and feels warm though, with the beer cooling my innards. ==c

Reactions: JimBear
This kind of nonsense goes on every year on the Black Rock Desert in the name of a sustainable future at Burning Man.
Burning man has nothing to do with a sustainable future. I think folks need educational videos about their opposite political ideology. You'd be surprised with how much you have in common with your fellow human being regardless of political view. We all have far more in common than we do separating us.

You'd be surprised with how much you have in common with your fellow human being regardless of political view. We all have far more in common than we do separating us.
Right. The powers that be are now employing the classic, age-old "divide and conquer" strategy. We need to realize who the real enemy is. We are at a point now where it's, to quote a Zappa album title, "Them or Us." Where is the mad smilie when you need it?? :rolleyes:

A nice little house could have been framed up for someone in need with all that lumber, and would be more in line with Christmas spirit than a fancy celebration of some meaningless myth ("Papa Noel").

I'm pretty sure they'd be pretty upset when those guys lit it on fire though.

I am surprised that is on here. About a week ago I posted a picture of a slash burn. These are pretty common in the NW, but mine was different in that the slash pile was junk wood out of the old orchard. It was set on the side of the hill so that when the winter snow and rain did its thing, the ash would leach into the field that is being reforested this spring.

I labled the pic as a campfire, so maybe that was the reason it disappeared. The flames were probably 25-30 feet in the air, but it was our first good covering of snow, and I thought it the best day so far this year to light it off. After the fire burned out, I pulled about 100 feet of barb wire out of the ash pile. It had been attached to the trees, so I could not have chipped it if I wanted to.

Reactions: Montanalocal
I have to say that pretty much all of this thread mystifies me, both the original story and the responses.
Well done, Internet. Well done.
Waachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? You got me blocked, and didn't even read the whole thread! ;lol
Reminds me of a local college station here; "Siri, where do Ninjas live?" Siri: "I couldn't find any results for 'Where do Ninjas live.' "
"Well played, Ninjas, well played." ;lol

Last edited:
Zappa album title, "Them or Us."
Posted the song in the Inglenook forum, if you've got a few minutes. ==c As with a lot of Zappa, you have to listen to it ten times before you even begin to get it.

Right. The powers that be are now employing the classic, age-old "divide and conquer" strategy. We need to realize who the real enemy is. We are at a point now where it's, to quote a Zappa album title, "Them or Us." Where is the mad smilie when you need it?? :rolleyes:
Not much of a Zappa man myself, but I definitely agree with the message.

This forum is a really neat place where I've seen what most folks would call right wingers discussing how to be more environmentally friendly. Usually forums like this one look like the Arborists forums!