What a Windhager BioWIN 210 Air Pin looks like after 42 tons of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Galroc

Jan 7, 2008
Hubbardston
Kudos to Marc at Caluwe, Inc @PassionForFire&Water who answered a late night text last recently about a safety sensor that tripped that brought the pellet boiler down. He replied with a solution immediately. I was able to bring the pellet boiler back up within minutes.

The BioWin 210 was installed November 2015 and still in use today.

$260 + tax + shipping for a new Air Pin. Here is my old one.

1705886076738.png

Reactions: sloeffle
WOW!!
That seems really excessive. I have 35 tons through my BioWin 210 and it still is fully intact. I just clean it with a wire wheel at every cleaning and clean the holes out and it looks good. I will post a picture of mine the next time I clean it.

Marc,
Is Galroc's airpin condition normal for the amount of pellets he used? I'm only 7 tons behind him and I do not see any substantial deterioration.
If not what would cause this to happen?

Steve

Reactions: Galroc
I cleaned it every scheduled cleaning and IMHO, it is excessive wear. It is a very expensive item if it is a wear item.

I had something similar happen on a Quadra-Fire Mount Vernon AE, which I was used heavily before the BioWin 210. Within a year after buying the Mount Vernon AE, the fire pot and back plate on the were flaking away. I was told by the service technician that they had a bad batch of castings. Those were replaced under warranty. The Quadra-Fire service technician told me to close off the outside air vent when the stove was not in use, which I have done. I haven't had a problem since and I think it has been 12+ years.

Marc did tell me to keep the furnace door ajar during off-season, which I have done. I wonder if it is moisture from air flow (chimney draft) that has caused an accelerated corrosion issue with the Air Pin.

What is the cost of the expensive item?