What am I Looking At??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Momma Bird

Nov 2, 2021
Oklahoma
Hello, I am looking at this ad on FB marketplace, but am having a hard time identifying this "Fisher" model because I have scoured this forum and can't find a tree pattern to match. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

248473270_6436100666431819_8730927102968970333_n.jpg
Thank you!!

Looks like a Grandma BearVI

Hello, I am looking at this ad on FB marketplace, but am having a hard time identifying this "Fisher" model because I have scoured this forum and can't find a tree pattern to match. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

248473270_6436100666431819_8730927102968970333_n.jpg
Thank you!!
The doors are the common arch top called Cathedral. Notice the space from knob to tree trunk on left door. This appears to be Grandpa doors since the Grandma has the stump very close to knob, almost under it. The measurement across the top or door opening would tell for sure.

Grandpa is 30 inches across top, Grandma is 25 1/2.
Door opening on Grandpa is 21 wide x 11 high.
Door opening on Grandma is 17 wide x 10 1/2 high.
The screen in photo is higher than a Grandma screen which is more like the dimensions of a domino. Much longer than it is high.

This stove is a Series III, built in the old unlisted style. It is not UL approved. Series III started in 1980 and was available made with bent corners, rear shield and baffle. Some fabricators continued to make the old style with angle iron corners like this one for $100 less. UL approved stoves were not necessary back then when installed on non-combustible floor with cement wall behind it or on a hearth.

The Series III was the double door Fireplace Series with solid doors or small glass. The larger glass was Series IV.

The Bear Series with single doors became Series VI. No such thing as a Fireplace Series with double doors other than a I which was the original. II, which had optional bolt on shields in 1977, III, the new style for 1980, ( this one made unlisted w/o baffle or shields ) III with glass (small pane) and VI with large pane glass.

It is also NOT an “antique”. Antique stoves are cast iron and 100 years old. Steel plate stoves didn’t exist long enough to be an antique. They are Classic Stoves. This won’t be an antique until after 2080.

Looks like a Grandma BearVI
No such thing.
The Series VI was the Bear Series with single door. Designed in ‘79 for 1980, bent corners with no angle iron corners, rear and bottom shield and UL Listed. Arched top door.

Fireplace Series with double doors;
Solid arched top doors were III.
The first with glass are also Series III.
Double doors with large glass opening are IV.

I believe this is a Grandpa. Trees are closer to the draft cap on Grandma. Notice the space from left draft cap to tree trunk. Grandma doesn’t have that space.
Looking at the screen size, this is much larger than a Grandma screen.

I typed wrong I meant Grandma IV but i guess that is wrong too

I typed wrong I meant Grandma IV but i guess that is wrong too
Yes, a IV has large glass and is a UL Listed style with side air intakes and slider air wash under doors.

Thanks for such a quick reply! I appreciate your help.
The doors are the common arch top called Cathedral. Notice the space from knob to tree trunk on left door. This appears to be Grandpa doors since the Grandma has the stump very close to knob, almost under it. The measurement across the top or door opening would tell for sure.

The screen in photo is higher than a Grandma screen which is more like the dimensions of a domino. Much longer than it is high.

This stove is a Series III, built in the old unlisted style. It is not UL approved. Series III started in 1980 and was available made with bent corners, rear shield and baffle. Some fabricators continued to make the old style with angle iron corners like this one for $100 less. UL approved stoves were not necessary back then when installed on non-combustible floor with cement wall behind it or on a hearth.

The Series III was the double door Fireplace Series with solid doors or small glass. The larger glass was Series IV.

The Bear Series with single doors became Series VI. No such thing as a Fireplace Series with double doors other than a I which was the original. II, which had optional bolt on shields in 1977, III, the new style for 1980, ( this one made unlisted w/o baffle or shields ) III with glass (small pane) and VI with large pane glass.

It is also NOT an “antique”. Antique stoves are cast iron and 100 years old. Steel plate stoves didn’t exist long enough to be an antique. They are Classic Stoves. This won’t be an antique until after 2080.

Thank you for clearing that up Coaly. I got confused when trying to find the Grandma Bear Vi mentioned. As for it being an "antique", yes, my husband and I giggled at that.
Your knowledge of these stoves blows my mind-and I'm thankful for it!!

Blessings to ya,
Zee in Oklahoma