What are these meters/ guages for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Just poking around on the net this morning and I come across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHhd5r2ugo&NR=1

Just before cutting the log this guy holds two different meters near the saw, what are they and there purpose?

KC

Not sure on the first meter but the second one was an infared thermometer.

Nice saw - seriously long bar there.

Perhaps I missed it, but did he have any eye protection? Would seem odd to not wear any given he did have chaps and ear protection on and it was obviously a demo setup.

rpm's and heat out of exhaust must be a new rebuild

Did it look like the chain was a bit loose? Or is it my old eyes?

Shipper

Shipper50 said:

Shipper
your getting old shipper!lol

smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
your getting old shipper!lol
Yep, turned 59 on the 14th, but the chain looked a bit saggy to me when he picked up the saw. But maybe I keep my chain too tight? :roll:

Shipper

I would think a 85cc saw would cut faster than that....

That was my thought, too. I think my 350 would cut through hedge faster than that - and that has to be a lot more dense than what ever wood he was cutting. Also, looks like you'd need a gas mask to run that thing for very long...maybe it was a fresh rebuild and he was running a lot of oil in the premix - otherwise it may be time to take a refresher course on how much oil to use. Too much oil will definitely bog performance.

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
1st one is a tach and the second one I believe he is checking chain speed.

That seems awfully redundant to me... If the saw clutch is hooking up properly, it should be spinning the chain sprocket at exactly the same speed the engine is running... (or at a fixed reduction ratio if there is a transmission involved) The speed of the chain is then a function of the sprocket size / number of teeth, and the spacing of the drive links on the chain... Thus if you know the saw RPM, you should be able to exactly determine the chain speed - I'd probably use a lookup table, or possibly a calculator (RPM X chain_travel_per_revolution) depending on how fussy I wanted to be...

Only way I'd expect the chain speed NOT to be a direct function of engine speed is if the clutch was defective and slipping, in which case I don't know why I'd care what the chain was doing in free space, since it would probably slip far worse once I got it into a log...

The idea of measuring RPM and temperature makes a bit more sense... (though not sure why it would be needed unless as stated it was a new rebuild...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.