What are these three Shop-Vac inlet slots for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 10.20.19 PM.png

The Shop-Vac comes with a friction fit hose, but I assumed that there must be some other component that is designed to attach to the vacuum's inlet using those slots, presumably something that would permit the use of a locking hose. The friction fit hose is OK but this is bugging me...

I can't find anything like it. Does anyone know why these slots are present? They seem to be intended for some purpose. They exist on other Shop-Vac models but I can't find any component or hose that seems to require them.

For the new adapter coming out in the fall, called the LBT. It will allow you to use your shop vac to perform the leaf lower trick. You will also need to convert the plug to 220 so it has extra power.......

Maybe used for an adapter to go to smaller diameter suction hose

Would they be slots so the shop-vac can be used with a fixed collection system as used in a wood working shop?

I contacted Shop-Vac and here is their direct quote:

"The slots on the outside of the inlet fitting are just a design. There is really no type of function."

Reactions: h2ochild
I contacted Shop-Vac and here is their direct quote:

"The slots on the outside of the inlet fitting are just a design. There is really no type of function."

I contacted them too, before asking here. Their reply was completely useless. I knew I'd find more knowledgeable people here!

Glad you got an intelligent response, I guess that settles it.

It's just odd to have had designed something that appears to have a purpose when there is none.

Do they pass all the way through? Maybe they bleed in some air for some esoteric reason.

Do they pass all the way through?

No, they don't. From all appearances they are slots into which something would insert, for alignment or locking purposes for example. It's easy to make that assumption since they are arcs spaced 120° apart. The inlet itself is a separate piece held to the housing by tabs inside the circular hose inlet, and don't appear associated with those slots.

It's a mystery. Perhaps it's a Shop-Vac engineer's screwup and that's why Lowe's is selling them for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.