What boiler do I want in my lean-to chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lectraplayer

Nov 3, 2014
Crimson Tide Country
I'm thinking about rebuilding a masonry chimney that was originally built onto the front of my house for an indoor wood heater. Since I can't use the chimney as is due to the floor plan, and it needs to be rebuilt anyway, I am thinking about building an outdoor boiler into it, with just the door and controls visible. I'm wanting to burn logs with full manual controls, and intend to heat 1500 square feet in Alabama. Which model would be best?

Also, since I will be designing a hydronic system from scratch, what is the best way to build an outdoor thermal storage "shelter" for minimal cost? I intend to also put radiant flour heat in, though only about 600 square feet at first. I also intend to remodel my basement and do some more building, which will put me up at the 1500 sq. ft. mentioned. I have also been looking at adding solar as I do this (but solar won't give me but a portion of the heat I need).

If you're in north AL you can come see ours. There are lots of maintenance issues around the back and sides of our boiler. It's not like a wood stove.

Sounds like a lot of work for no more heat then you will need. Burning logs is VERY inefficient, logs stay wet a long time, and never really get dry for the most part, so they burn poorly and it takes a lot of energy to boil the water off.the logs need to be split for the drying process to begin. Being in a semi warm location I think id hunt for a used small gassifier. To me it don't make a lot of sense to put a lot of time and money into something that will be very inefficient and wont get used a lot. My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.