what brand of heater thermal detector unit do yall recomend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
i would like to see a thermal imaging of the house to test for heat leaks....
also I believe heat loss too from pex out in yard to Hardy OWB.. course,Hubby does not want to hear about it....
what about one of those devices you aim to measure the temperature. would it show difference pointing it directly over ground where 4 pex lines run? versus farther away where pex is not....
ALSo what is a good brand of moisture meter??? to test moisture content of our firewood??...
thanks all

I have this MM, got it for work initially, works great on firewood too. Got mine at Lowes, think it was about the same price
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...qid=1422639008&sr=8-1&keywords=moisture+meter

I have this IR (or one very similar to it)
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digi...2639098&sr=8-10&keywords=infrared+thermometer

I think you're talking about a thermal imaging camera $$$$$, if you want a visual of hot and cold spots. You could essentially use the IR above to draw your own map by scanning the wall and ground and record locations and temperature changes. There's actually a small part in the instructions that come with the device that explain this procedure using the example of a doing it on a radiator to find the leak. Just pay attention to the size of the measured area in comparison to the distance away. I think mine measures an area that equates to about an inch in diameter to about a foot of distance. (ie. 6 feet away, it's measuring a spot about 6" in diameter, not the pin point laser spot)

While IR cams have gotten cheaper, I have gotten a ton of mileage out of a cheap IR 'laser' thermometer. The absolute temps are not that reliable, but you can measure temperature differences down to a degree F pretty reliably. With patience scanning around you can find cold spots on walls and ceilings. The pros need the camera because they don't have to the time (due to cost of labor) to scan and record a ton of data...they need to point and shoot half a room at a time. But for DIY...I loves my little IR thermo.

Status
Not open for further replies.