What can I burn in my pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
Last night I put small rolled up newspaper in my burn pot of my pellet stove and the sky fell. Well not really ,but why is this a bad idea? I didn't see any thing bad happen during this experiment. Why could I not put in small pieces of wood? I keep hearing about these nuclear pellets ,where can you get them? Russia ?

Nuclear (also known as miracle or LOVE pellets) can produce more heat than the actual BTU's in them. In fact, the heat directly relates to how many beers you had before you brag to your friends about how much you saved! There is also firewood which meets this same criteria.

But, given the small size of a pellet stove firebox and burn pot, let alone the chimney situation (lower temp) and the listing of the stove, etc. etc -I'm afraid that most pellet stoves are limited to low ash wood pellets or corn or mixtures. Certain biomass stoves can burn higher ash pellet fuel, which is starting to be available in some areas.

Be careful too, because if you cause damage from burning a loony bin fuel you'll more than likely violate your warantee. Stick with what the manufacturer recommends or at least stick with pelletized fuels which resemble pellets. Switchgrass pellets, cherry pits, alfalfa pellets (smell like pot when burning from what I'm told), cardboard pellets, buckwheat and corn are some of the biomass fuels you can try out. Stay away from cordwood or coal though.

What can I burn in my pellet stove?

Pellets

jtp10181 said:
What can I burn in my pellet stove?

Pellets

This is a trick question... right?

Let me see now. What are the choices?

Whole logs?
Corn?
Pellets?
Coal?
Compressed logs?
2x4's?
MDF?
Small dogs?
old chevy tires?

Hmmm I'm just not sure on this one.... :)

I guess I need to get a pellet stove to work on the answer.

I keep suggesting someone needs to make a pellet stove that will burn shredded tires. Corey, make that one of your projects next year ;).

Bet there would be zero smoke on start up! hahah

Don't they use old tires to make cement? Thought I saw that on dirty jobs.

I find dog food burns great! IAMs burns better then Kibbles N Bits. And dogs keep licking the glass...no soot build up

That's funny right there :)

HarryBack said:
You are a twisted woman, Mrs GVA. ;-P

how else do you think I nabbed gva? He finds me challeging! 8-/

Mrs-GVA said:
HarryBack said:
You are a twisted woman, Mrs GVA. ;-P

how else do you think I nabbed gva? He finds me challeging! 8-/

don't laugh, I was told by my harman dealerthat one of is customers is burning turkey feed . He has a turkey farm and at the end of the year all feed he has leftover he would have to trow out by law . so he burns it in his pellet stove instead .

I find dog food burns great! IAMs burns better then Kibbles N Bits. And dogs keep licking the glass...no soot build up

HarryBack - 17 April 2007 08:09 AM
You are a twisted woman, Mrs GVA.

how else do you think I nabbed gva? He finds me challeging!
ROFLMAO!!!!! I love it!

Now my question for Mrs. GVA: ??? How long have you been "surfing this forum" over Mr. GVA's shoulder...with us "Nuts"...before you decided to "check in under you're own screen name"??? ...A belated "Welcome to the forum" all the same.

I love the Scrat avatar also...one of my "Mrs" favorites'...and mine as well.

buildingmaint said:
Last night I put small rolled up newspaper in my burn pot of my pellet stove and the sky fell. Well not really ,but why is this a bad idea? I didn't see any thing bad happen during this experiment. Why could I not put in small pieces of wood? I keep hearing about these nuclear pellets ,where can you get them? Russia ?

This is funny but ingenius. I laugh because I have tried pellet fuel in my Vermont Casting coal stove. Now buildingmaint is suggesting wood chips for the pellet stove..... Anyway what about "rice coal" in a pellet stove?

About the newspaper thing well ok. But now you have to make it auger friendly and hopper freindly.

1) I'd suggest a pieace of paper the size of a gum wraper.
2) Place in your palm and roll in circular motion.
3) Paper will now be BB size like for a BB or pellet gun.
4) Throw in hopper.

Let me know how long it takes to make 4 TONS like this.

Without the commical remarks this compacted paper idea may be good biomass product for a pellet alternative.

Now how does one mass produce them at home ;)

The confusion may be because some new stoves burn a diverse variety of fuels. The new Mt. Vernon burns a wide variety of biofuels, including wood pellets in various grades, 100% corn, sunflower seeds, and wheat. I wouldn't be surprised to see compressed switchgrass or perhaps compressed waste products from biofuel production showing up as fuel in the future as well.

RingOfFire said:
Without the commical remarks this compacted paper idea may be good biomass product for a pellet alternative.

There is a company out in Washington state that prduces paper pellets for industrial boilers. They are too long for a pellet stove and their ash is about the same as standard (instead of premium) pellets.

Begreen, you say that the Mt. Vernon burns sunflower seeds?If so,I gotta get me one;I can't stop eating the seeds since I quit smokin 3 years ago.-Sometimes my work truck looks like a bluejay threw-up in the front! ;-)

I didn't mean run different stuff through the auger , just throw some rolled up paper in the burn pot. Or some small pieces of wood I might come across in the burn pot. Not running non pellet stuff through the auger.

keyman512us said:

HarryBack - 17 April 2007 08:09 AM
You are a twisted woman, Mrs GVA.

how else do you think I nabbed gva? He finds me challeging!
ROFLMAO!!!!! I love it!

Now my question for Mrs. GVA: ??? How long have you been "surfing this forum" over Mr. GVA's shoulder...with us "Nuts"...before you decided to "check in under you're own screen name"??? ...A belated "Welcome to the forum" all the same.

I love the Scrat avatar also...one of my "Mrs" favorites'...and mine as well.

Thanks for the welcome! I became really interested with some of the political threads....but GVA wouldn't let me post because of my strong opinions....so I signed myself up! Kind of cool, we're both on our computers at night poking around hearth.com. We don't have lives!

RingOfFire said:
buildingmaint said:

This is funny but ingenius. I laugh because I have tried pellet fuel in my Vermont Casting coal stove. Now buildingmaint is suggesting wood chips for the pellet stove..... Anyway what about "rice coal" in a pellet stove?

About the newspaper thing well ok. But now you have to make it auger friendly and hopper freindly.

4) Throw in hopper.

I've already started hwoooo haaaaaa <<<<<------(mad scientist saying)....See pic attached.
No those aren't tax documents :p

Maybe this will keep the dog snot off the glass.... :cheese:

Attachments

• 0418071905.jpg
    0418071905.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,131
buildingmaint said:
I didn't mean run different stuff through the auger , just throw some rolled up paper in the burn pot. Or some small pieces of wood I might come across in the burn pot. Not running non pellet stuff through the auger.

that would not be practical you would be constantly feeding it not much fun.

Not a pellethead, and not reccomending this - if you try it, don't call me as I will only guarantee that if your stove breaks, you can have all the peices! %-P However it would seem to me like it might be possible to make some sort of imitation pellets out of newspaper other than by hand rolling individual pellets... What about something like a pasta machine and paper mache' - mix the paper with water to turn it into pulp, then run it through a pasta machine, or possibly a burger grinder to extrude pellet sized bits - let them dry and burn...

Probably would have a lot of ash, and not as many BTU/lb as wood pellets, but might work...

Gooserider

Titan said:
Begreen, you say that the Mt. Vernon burns sunflower seeds?If so,I gotta get me one;I can't stop eating the seeds since I quit smokin 3 years ago.-Sometimes my work truck looks like a bluejay threw-up in the front! ;-)

The Mt Vernon AE burns a lot of fuels and ass they test different things the thermostat can be updated to understand how to burn them. Out of the box it can burn Pellets, Corn, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat

They have talked about burning peanut shell pellets and switchgrass pellets in it also but I don't know how to get a hold of the fuel tables for those two.

GVA said:
RingOfFire said:
buildingmaint said:

4) Throw in hopper.

I've already started hwoooo haaaaaa <<<<<------(mad scientist saying)....See pic attached.
No those aren't tax documents :p

Maybe this will keep the dog snot off the glass.... :cheese:

note the green lettering on that New England Pellet bag.....those are Canadian softwood bags, originating in Palmer, MA!

Status
Not open for further replies.