What can you tell me about brick liners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
So I need to buy 6 new bricks to line the bottom of my wood heater. I just spoke to a shop and they said they would cost me about $10 each...Problem was she couldn't find the exact bricks for my model heater. If I can get a brick with the same dimensions does it matter what I put in there? For example, if I get the same width and length but the depth or thickness isnt the same will that matter?

Thanks guys.

I can tell you that in the US those bricks are called fire bricks. I think it would be OK to find replacement bricks of similar size and cut them to fit. My guess is fire bricks can be cut with the type of saw used to cut concrete blocks, bricks used for building, and floor tiles. However, I don't have any experience with replacing fire bricks.

If they are standard fire bricks, not pumice or some other material, they are 4.5 x 9" and available in farm stores here for $2.50 each.

So I need to buy 6 new bricks to line the bottom of my wood heater. I just spoke to a shop and they said they would cost me about $10 each...Problem was she couldn't find the exact bricks for my model heater. If I can get a brick with the same dimensions does it matter what I put in there? For example, if I get the same width and length but the depth or thickness isnt the same will that matter?

Thanks guys.

The type of brick varies with the stove. Can you add your stove make/model to your signature line?

thanks guys....untill now all i have done to my wood heater is open the door, load it up and let it go....I am currently doing research to learn more about it and doing some maintenance.

FYI. All i know about the stove is that it is an Austwood. Possible an Austwood Wentworth. I will measure it up this weekend..

Status
Not open for further replies.