What catches your attention?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this thread about? Ohh never mind...

bluedogz said:
...fora of interest...

Dude...yer Latin's hangin' out. :p

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GAMMA RAY said:
If the mods are drunk on ex-lax, they will "pop up" trust me! :gulp:

You mean I got THAT to look forward to when I get THAT old?!?...

Well, OK then...editing another poster's words or posting "as if" you're that poster is now fair game? Heck yeah, I can do that. Sometimes it's a lot more fun than just deleting or shutting down. :coolsmile:

fossil said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GAMMA RAY said:
If the mods are drunk on ex-lax, they will "pop up" trust me! :gulp:

You mean I got THAT to look forward to when I get THAT old?!?...

Well, OK then...editing another poster's words or posting "as if" you're that poster is now fair game? Heck yeah, I can do that. Sometimes it's a lot more fun than just deleting or shutting down. :coolsmile:

smilies-30222.png

1. middle-ish three forums mostly
2.read pretty much all the thread titles - actually click on the ones that might be interesting
3. I'm no literary bigot, I've worked with ESL immigrants, engineers and non- lit majors all my life , BTW what the :censored: is "Ja" ? :) (consider that a rhetorical question)
4. sometimes.

I rather doubt it's humanly possible to not like boobies.

Some might prefer to not watch them bouncing everywhere and anywhere 24/7.
Not like them. At all ? Don't think so.
Well, maybe some exhausted spent bitter curmudgeon that doesn't like the company of people or breathing life forms, but I can't see why one would be lurking or even posting here.

billb3 said:
1. middle-ish three forums mostly
2.read pretty much all the thread titles - actually click on the ones that might be interesting
3. I'm no literary bigot, I've worked with ESL immigrants, engineers and non- lit majors all my life , BTW what the :censored: is "Ja" ? :) (consider that a rhetorical question)
4. sometimes.

Some might prefer to not watch them bouncing everywhere and anywhere 24/7.
Not like them. At all ? Don't think so.
Well, maybe some exhausted spent bitter curmudgeon that doesn't like the company of people or breathing life forms, but I can't see why one would be lurking or even posting here.

Dude, I have them, trust me, I know.

But to be offensive, no way.

LG, I apologize, I really, really do.

we all have them. :)

billb3 said:
I had a strict English teacher... so what? Decent punctuation and sentence/paragraph form to improve readability is not too much to ask for. Nobody can force me to to read a monolithic blob. The back button is my right. It does not make me a literary bigot.

Ja = Norwegian for "Yes". I don't say yes much in the spoken word, I say ja, not yeah.

Boobies - everyone has them... don't much like seeing them on men though.

billb3 said:

Hey, how'd I get dragged into this ??????????

fossil said:
bluedogz said:
...fora of interest...

Dude...yer Latin's hangin' out. :p

Told ya... Catholic-educated grammar pedant. 'Twas serious.

LLigetfa said:
I was thinking of doing a poll but couldn't decide on how to word it so as not to be ambiguous, so I will just pose a few questions instead.

1. When reading posts, do you only frequent certain forums and maybe wander into others rarely?

I read it all . . . except for Classic Stoves (don't have one, don't need one), Pellet Stoves (it's a passing fad ;) ), boilers (interesting, but too expensive and technical for my tastes), gas (I have enough problems with my own gaseous system . . . especially after Saturday night's beans and franks), Ash (too political for me -- few people change people's minds on religion, politics or socio-economic opinion based solely on what they write on line) and The Green (I'm too much in love with my oil-burning, polluting toys) . . . OK, guess that means I only read about half of the stuff. ;) :)

2. When scanning titles, do you read them all or does the poster need to capture your attention with a well worded title?

Usually I read everything that is new . . . I have to . . . no telling when Backwoods Savage might claim that I he has talked to me and I have seen the light and decided the only and best way to split is to go vertical . . . I cannot have him spreading falsehoods so I have to check every thread and every comment. ;) :) Actually, I really do try to read most everything, but often just do a quick scan if it is a post that doesn't pertain to me or does not interest me.

3. When reading the OP's post, does lack of punctuation, paragraph breaks, and/or sentence structure cause you to hit the back button?

English minor . . . BA in Communications with a Concentration in Journalism . . . and a Psychology Minor (not that this means a darn thing) . . . except that I know some Shakespeare, proper sentence structure, can write a decent lead and know I'm totally messed up. I actually tend to write the way I think . . . rather than write properly. This means I often use . . . and -- in place of . or ! or even ? I don't discriminate though . . .

The only things that cause me to give up on a post is WHEN THE ORIGINAL POSTER WRITES IN ALL CAPS AND THE PARAGRAPH IS REALLY, REALLY LONG, if the thread is one giant block of text and not broke up into easy to digest paragraphs or when the person is writing in his own, obscure language where you need an interpreter to figure out what he is saying (i.e. Pookese).

4. If luke warm on a thread, do you often only reply based on what someone else replied?

Sometimes yes . . . and sometimes no . . . depends on if I have anything extra to add or if I think it might help to support what others have said. I will confess however that sometimes I just want to scream when I see the following questions posed . . .

I have this wicked stringy, hard to split wood? Any idea what it could be? --- Chances are . . . 9 times out of 10 it's elm.
What splitter should I buy? ---- Seems like for most folks it comes down to Huskee or MTD unless they want to spend a few more dollars for an Iron/Oak or Timberwolf.
What chainsaw should I buy? --- Usually Stihl, Huskqvarna or Dolmar.
Is it OK to burn pine? ---- No . . . your first born child will be covered in boils and a plaque of locusts will visit you in a fortnight.
My stove doesn't put out any heat. Why? -- Unseasoned wood . . . not enough wood . . . turn down the air.

. . .

Oops . . . looks like I should have added more spaces between the paragraphs to break things up and make it easier to read. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Oops . . . looks like I should have added more spaces between the paragraphs to break things up and make it easier to read. ;)
No problems to read. Thanks

I don't know how you folks find the time to follow all the threads. I try to revisit threads I participated in in case someone asks me a question. I don't want to come off as a jerk and not respond. Some other boards that I participate on have a special icon that shows threads I posted to. I wish this board had such a feature.

1: Yes.
Pellets: never actually been there--I picture an ongoing clubhouse/meeting/wear-funny-hats-place like the Elks;
Gas: rarely, though when I did need to post there, I, in fact, had a gas;
Boiler Room: some very smart and funny and resourceful people hang out there--don't go there much, but when I do I find answers;
Green: been there--Very Sincere People, and I don't really fit in very well with people who can sustain sincerity for long;
Old Stoves: not much;
Hearth: sometimes, but less and less--feel as if I'm wandering around in the archives at times;
Wood Shed and Gear: fun places to visit, in and out frequently;
DIY: only when a) my stuff breaks down, and b) I'm concerned about trying to fix it;
Ash Can: not since the 'Nook went up--it's clearly for mature audiences only, which leaves me out;
Inglenook: I've heard about this place, and have been intending to stop by sometime . . .

2) Yes, and yes

3) There have only been a few that I just couldn't get any meaning out of--long, stream-of-consciousness, punctuation-free paragraphs with spittle flying and red eyes glaring from above. When I politely suggested a few punctuation marks and the occasional cap would make P's ideas a little easier to follow, I barely made it out of that thread alive. I learned then to leave the mumblers to their own devices. I'm too busy writing really long posts to care about that anymore . . . And I agree with Jake--why use conventional end punctuation when ellipses will do--or hyphens--or lots of hyphens---? But I don't like getting capSHOUTed at either.

4) For example: what is boobies to some of you, chocolate is to some of us. To each their own, but I think leaving candy dishes around the forums would be a nice touch; and now I know what becomes of the English majors---I was worried about them--all that green hair and body piercing seemed like it could work against them in a tough job market, and if I am in a house-fire and a fireman turns up, I'll try to keep a few pertinent quotes handy ("O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention" except that this sounds like something an arsonist would say) and are we actually supposed to stay on topic? No-one ever told me. . . I just think of this as sort of a long boarding-house-table conversation, wherein we all turn up when we are hungry, and randomly reply to whatever fragment floated past that catches our interest for the moment, not necessarily replying to anyone, just indulging in parallel conversations like toddlers hanging out playing next to each other rather than with one another, occasionally reaching over to bob one another with a Fischer-Price hammer, and wander off when interests or responsibility calls us elsewhere and what is a plaque of locusts? Should we be flossing more frequently?

Def flossing. mucho importante.

The boobie thing, not.

Snowleopard . . . only minored in English . . . didn't have enough time or credits to double major so I opted to have two double minors instead . . . and I would guess that I'm pretty abnormal . . . even for a firefighter.

Was I talking about you? And did you bring chocolate?

snowleopard said:
Was I talking about you? And did you bring chocolate?

Uh, no Ma'am. No chocolates. . . . I'll just be over here reading War and Peace. ;) :)

also cats and mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.