What Defines ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2017
Boyd, TX
I'm retrofitting a ZC fireplace where I had a builder grade worthless ZC fireplace from 30 years ago. My question is what constitutes ZC as in dimensions. The attached snapshot of a ZC brochure requiring requiring 7 in of clearance on either side seems like a stretch on the ZC claim. Based on that liberal interpretation, I'm going to have to look at the diagrams of each manufacturer to see what how they define ZC.

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 1.34.46 PM.png

I'm retrofitting a ZC fireplace where I had a builder grade worthless ZC fireplace from 30 years ago. My question is what constitutes ZC as in dimensions. The attached snapshot of a ZC brochure requiring requiring 7 in of clearance on either side seems like a stretch on the ZC claim. Based on that liberal interpretation, I'm going to have to look at the diagrams of each manufacturer to see what how they define ZC.

View attachment 304889
That's part of the problem with the term zero clearance. None of them are actually zero clearance.

Each has it's own requirements. My Stratford II required a cavity 37 3/4w x 24 7/8d x 42 5/8h with no combustibles to 80" above the bottom of the unit (so 37 3/8" above the cavity) and 2" each side (the area covering the standoffs). The side standoffs are only 2".

Each has it's own requirements. My Stratford II required a cavity 37 3/4w x 24 7/8d x 42 5/8h with no combustibles to 80" above the bottom of the unit (so 37 3/8" above the cavity) and 2" each side (the area covering the standoffs). The side standoffs are only 2".
How do you like the SII? I'm trying to decide between it and the Elite 36.

Kicks out good heat, still have good coals after 10hr hardwood load, not an "easy breather" with the outside air intake, doesn't like EW loads, glass gets buildup around the outside.
16706808986484483850898576868868.jpg

Reactions: farmerandy7481
16" will fit NS, but with the ends so close to the glass it messes with air flow and tends to smoke the glass. I am cutting to 12"+/- for it. 12" fits behind the andirons and up to about 14" doesn't affect airflow too badly.

Right now I have a mix of 12"+/- & 16"+/-. I make my loads so there isn't a bunch of 16" all together. Anything over 16" gets cut in half. 8 1/2" sounds really short for splits, but they sit behind the andirons with airflow room in front and back.

I have a Flame Monaco which was the same basic stove as the Osburn Stratford I with plain front and doors and a lower price. SBI did not continue it when they went to the latest EPA version. Mine also smokes the glass. The lower inch or so of the glass winds up being shielded from direct heat by an angled plate that I think is there to keep ash from falling out when the doors are opened. That part of the glass is cooler (verified with an IR thermometer) and black gunk condenses there. Scrubbing it with a moistened paper towel dipped in ash seems to work ok to knock it back. I do a through cleaning in the summer when the chimney gets cleaned. Before anyone says it, my wood's two seasons dry and is well below 20% so it's not wet wood.

The bulk of the glass also gets a thin layer of gray-brown haze on it. That cleans off easily with window cleaner (which I follow with water so the glass does not discolor) or when the stove is hot I can scrub it off with a wadded up sheet of newspaper.

Reactions: NickW