What difference between stove running and furnace running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
WOW, what a difference of comfort between my stove running and my heat set at 71*. I had to shut down the stove because my Im taking care of my dad (hospice) and his hospital bed is in the stove room and we thought they were going to give him oxygen and that is a no no for sure. So we had the furnace up to 71* plus the space heater in the stove room and everyone was cold and complaining yesterday. Well no oxygen and the stove is back up and running low, house is 70* and it feels great! So as to my last post about to much work, as long as I live were we need heat in winter 24/7 I will have a stove.

You are getting radiant heat from the stove which makes one feel warmer. Same principal of the sun: feels warm to you yet the temp in outter space between the sun and you is minus 455 F.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Wood is 100% the best way to heat. It doesn't matter if you use pellets, bio bricks, or cord wood, it's always better than anything else. My partner takes care of a young child with Cerebral Palsy and the kid feels no pain when she's in front of the wood stove, and the stove is from 1885.

Reactions: fespo
Maybe the heat will help your father feel better, went through that with my mom a few months ago, not fun.

They also look way better then any furnace I've seen.

57b1d83aead9fb0cd2c9c17f49ea267a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GateKeeper
I agree, my wood stoves radiant heat is great. The stove requires a bit of attention to keep a comfortable a level of heat. But there are limits and issues. If understood you can mitigate them. My biggest issue is overnight stove usage. I can easily overheat the house with the stove. So now we now get the house only a few degrees above normal at bed time. We set the thermostat 8 -10 degrees below normal and let the stove burn out. The house is well insulated so the heat is not on much by morning. Much better than waking up in the middle of the night and opening windows.