what do I have here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
This tree fell across the trail behind my house. Starting cutting it up to take it as firewood, but I noticed the rounds are kind of light for their size. I got a photo of the bark and a few small leaves which had begun to leaf out in March before it fell.

The sap wood is a bit punky but dry. The tree roots rotted out from standing in a year-round seep.

I brought back a round to split with a maul and it popped right open.

Should I go back and cut and haul it, or leave it to rot?
b_vg8vv30pSH-jqCTShTG1XbuT3AP0u7Q_1H04A_bPnKt2xdf9yU-L4Wpqh43DVEeFUUlge-eMwfn3sGwDc=w706-h941-no.jpg
pNChMh0DAo9zUx-U78u_bho6nDNw4I_IeufvQoSC3m-r_oICQ6KAmHGRdqcYEmAsbADO9gaJngLvODBy0Q=w1255-h941-no.jpg

Y2NjNE8LNr8FIHXr9fP1x1tsrHI2xrJZ1gE5BQHXhPxENYsBL9aEcy6sfQ0YPGGTf4Jik15oeQ3Kz0Q9sE=w1255-h941-no.jpg
1EMjFncCun8hlWI1CCkoRahiQhQw7BkgtCMDWIvSjLzxnFh_E02QTiTYoKZT_Csvu1SlpldwsFs8jzHvRk=w1255-h941-no.jpg

E23Awrw4bhCrwo9jLASVS4AcrBnGdYJNz896_UJ07ILpjsvFiK8gw0B9LOCv_udXzb3hvJIQ1B6jfGeOBcs=w706-h941-no.jpg

Rounds look like tulip popular to me... good for nuthin but kindling... in my opinion...... I can burn of stove load of that (during cold weather) in 20 min... then time to fill up stove again...not worth the effort unless its in your yard...

Not tulip poplar- I know that one from my youth

Sassafras? Only time I worked with that the cambium had a strong red color, which I don't see on these rounds . And I didn't notice any strong root beer smell while I was cutting

Not sassafras- just looked up photos of sassafras leaves online; these are nothing like that. These leaves are in alternate pairs all the way down the branch

My vote is Ash. I see the small little bebe indention on the ends of the cuts.

ash for sure

100 % ash. Burned it almost exclusively for the last 3 years thanks to the EAB here in Ohio.