What do I need to know in buying and installing a liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
Hi Everyone,

Recently score a great deal on a gently used Jotul F100 wood stove, and I am now in the market for a liner to run up my chimney, a piece of double walled pipe to run a few feet from the back of the stove to the liner, and a few heat shields for the top and sides of my mantel to meet clearances (see picture attached).

I see liners come up on craigslist from time to time (where I got the F100), often never been used, and I want to make sure I know what I should look for in purchasing a liner (as well as the double walled pipe and heat shields) whether I get it new or on craigslist.

Here's what I'm thinking and wondering:

1) I see multiple kinds of flex liners that say their good for wood stoves - what is the best for safety and performance? Do different companies vary in quality, or is it all the same assuming they have the same specs/kind of material, etc.? If I do buy used, is there a way I can confirm quality, company, material, etc? Do they have stamps on them...?

2) I am putting this liner up my three story unlined brick chimney built around 1900. What is the best, and safest way to accurately measure the chimney to know exactly what length I need? How can I make sure that the 6 inch liner (perhaps with insulation) will be able to get al the way through my chimney without running into any problems before buying a full liner?

3) My chimney is technically within the envelope of my house, except for the last 8 feet or so (perhaps less), however it's in an uninsulated area just on the inside of the outside wall, with only a wood wall keeping it within the envelope (and I live in Boston, so cold winters). I've read different thoughts on insulated vs. uninsulated (again, my chimney is over 100 year old and completely unlined), but I'm not sure what is best. I want to do the safest thing, even if that's more expensive. Should I go insulated or uninsulated? If insulated, is it better to use an insulation blanket, a pre-insulated liner, something else?

Are there other things I should be considering? Again, I plan on connecting this to a few feet of double-walled pipe to go into the back of the Jotul F100. Any thoughts on the double walled pipe and/or mantel shield are also welcome, but my main concern right now is the liner.

Lastly, I am beginning to think about installing this myself (with a friend or two), so any thoughts on that is helpful too. Thanks!

F100.jpg

Ok you want to get a 316 or 304 stainless liner i would recommend a heavy wall flex but light wall flex will work well to i just prefer the extra thickness i think they hold up better. I would not recommend the double layer smooth wall stuff i find it difficult to install without damaging that inner wall. It should absolutely be insulated. in your case either wrap or preinsulated should work fine. As far as measuring go to the top and drop a tape measure down it with some one at the bottom to tell you when you are down. As far as finding potential problems that is difficult the best you can do is look in from both ends with a good light looking for obstructions. if there is anything questionable find something a little larger than thet liner a paint can or something like it and try pulling it up with a rope. If it makes it the liner should also. We would typically pull the liner up from the bottom in an old fireplace like yours but that would be difficult without a hoist so you may need to drop it down what is the top access like?

Thanks bholler, very helpful! I love the paint can idea! I've seen some people write get a small piece of liner, but that means purchasing a small piece of liner or cutting off a bigger piece, which I don't currently have. I've got to get up on my roof to see how accessible the top of my chimney is, and I will write with more details, but I believe it is relatively accessible. It's on a part of a the roof with a slant, but not close to a window that extends up over that part of the roof, and above the window has only a slight slant. More than anything, it's just a little scary for someone who isn't a pro, as it's three stories up.

Regarding liner - does anyone have recommendations for good places online to purchase? And, if I buy one off craigslist, are there things I should look for to help me know if it's what I'm looking for? How do I tell (assuming it's not from a store) that it's 316 or 304 and heavy walled? Also, what's the difference between 316 and 304?

Thanks!

316 is good for wood oil gas and coal while 304 is only good for wood. Light wall is ribbed while heavy wall is a much smoother coil look at them online it is easy to tell the difference there is no real way to tell the difference between 304 and 316 but take a magnet if the liner is magnetic it is an alloy that is made just for gass and wont hold up very well to the heat of wood. I cant remember the alloy right now its al- something.

Status
Not open for further replies.