What do you guys do for overnight burns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For the FP25 in my sig line, I'll toss in 1-2 splits that are 6-8 inches across at the widest, and use others that are smaller to fill it in and get it packed pretty tight. It will burn longer if this is the 2nd or 3rd reload on a new fire, as the ash coats the coals and keeps them alive longer. Doing this, and shutting down to almost all secondary flames will allow me to wake up to coals and a decently warm house. I usually can't go more than 10-11 hours before I need some kindling or a torch to get a new fire going. My usual schedule is reloads at 6am, 4pm, and 9-10pm, and I almost never have to restart a fire (but the last load has burnt down pretty well). As an upside, I can push this stove to something like a 3 hour reload with smaller splits if I need more heat. For the size of house I have, the FP 25 has kept it warm enough that the wife and I haven't used our comforters at all this winter.

For the NC30, I just reload as normal. This stove holds coals well enough that 12 hour reloads are easy. When I burnt this stove full time, I often woke up to too many coals to get as much fresh wood in as I would have liked.

Whatever is in the stacks . . . although I do like to use large rounds, pack it in and when possible will use oak. locust, sugar maple, yellow birch, beech, etc. . . . but once I'm running 24-7 I tend to use whatever is in the stacks.