What do you guys use for data logging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
I've only got a wood stove now but I'd at least like to track the outdoor temp, stove/flue temp and indoor temp in a few different rooms of the house.

Not exactly a boiler question, but I know guys generally have the more sophisticated setups....

I have installed digital sensors to track outdoor temp, indoor temp, and key locations in my boiler system. I don't track all the time, just from time to time to make sure the system is operating as expected or to test out changes in the system. Also, key sensors report to a panel of digital meters so that I can see at a glance how the system is performing. The panel meters only display and do not log data and each requires a separate sensor.

My system is semi-home brewed and is wired, not wireless, using Dallas DS18B20 1-wire sensors and an adapter from PCsensor. The adapter connects to a USB port on my laptop running Windows XP and records a csv data file. The csv file is a text file readable by most if not all word processor, spread sheet, and database programs. You may need separate software to access the csv file to print customized reports, graphs, etc. The flue temp sensor is K-type and records to a commercial data logger.

Look into controlbyweb. I finally ran the cat5 to my boiler in barn and tested the far run last night. Hopefully i can find some time to hook it up to the sensors on my storage tanks today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 156
I don't log.. but happy with the gear i bought from controlbyweb

Cleaning the garage this weekend, I found a new radio shack wireless sensor. It reads room temp and 3 other temps. I am reading outside temp, basement temp, upstairs temp, and main floor. In just 36 hrs I have balanced my heat system so much better. I don't know how much it cost or where I got it, but doesn't look expensive. I also found a wireless brookstone 5 day weather reader. It updates accuweather every 15 min. I have this by the furnace to aid in how much I load it each day.
May have to keep cleaning the garage, see If I can find any other little gems.

Reactions: Standingdead
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will continue researching and be sure to post back when I decide which direction to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.