What do you use to hold water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I am trying to figure out what to use to put water in on top of my stove and thought you guys might have some good ideas. It is an insert and it only sticks out about 6 to 8 inches so I don't have a lot of room. It's at -2 right now and the Avalon is purring away!!! Now I just have to figure out how to not dry out...:)

That looks really nice, but I don't think I can afford something like that! Anything else...more on the affordable side?

Head to the local thrift store and get a 2-4 qt. pot for a buck or two. We have an old 2.5 qt pot from the 70's whose enamel was getting a bit worn from cooking. Makes a dandy stove humidifier.

Just about anything will hold water but Hearth shops have decorative holders...what ever you get I'd advise to keep the container on a trivet so the water doesn't boil. Once water boils over on the stove top it takes a paint job to restore it to its former beauty.

I too have tried to use different types of kettles, containers & stuff on top of our pellet stove, but they didn't seem to put out enough humidity into the air. I am using 2 small room mist humidifiers (the kind that people use for kids or when you are sick. They have them at Sears or Target, etc.). I plugged one in near the pellet stove and the air seems to move the mist around fairly well. The second is in the upstairs hall. My plants seem to be doing better this winter too, and so far no killer static shocking going on.

A couple of paper dixie cups will never burn on top of your stove as long as there is water in them.....

Not sure if that is correct if it hits 700 degrees and they run dry! I do know the wax would make a mess though :cheese:

I got a nice old 2 qt. cast iron kettle on ebay for 4 bucks and 8 bucks shipping. It needed a bit of clean up but It looks good and works well.
Joe

I leave a tea kettle on the stove all day on low. My insert is flush so I can't put anything on it. On the hearth I have a crock with standing water cat loves it. ;-)

Why does it have to be on top of the stove. Evaporation works anywhere. I use a fish tank full of fish for a humidifier. In the wintertime I am adding water all the time, it's only a 20 gallon tank but it does keep the house comfortable. Nothing fancy just some guppies and an overgrown placostumus but the kids like em.

Got this at Tractor Supply for $23.

Attachments

• steamer.jpg
    steamer.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 341
neverrude said:
Got this at Tractor Supply for $23.
I like it. I am in tsc acouple of times a month. I'm gonna look for one.

Assuming no boilovers......do you have to worry about a kettle/container scratching or staining a steel stove top in any way? I'd love to put something on top of my Englander 13 but don't want to blemish the stove top.

Tfin said:
Assuming no boilovers......do you have to worry about a kettle/container scratching or staining a steel stove top in any way? I'd love to put something on top of my Englander 13 but don't want to blemish the stove top.
My steamer is leaving a mark both where it sits and where the lip touches the back of the surround.
I have likely set it on there wet, though, and it sits there all year round and is never moved or often cleaned under :red: .
I figured it was just cosmetic.

Maybe I can put my fish tank on top of the fisher, maybe that will help? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.