What does this mean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
"To be considered, a stove must use the burning of biomass fuel to heat a dwelling unit or to heat water for use in such a dwelling unit, and have a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75% as measured using a lower heating value;"

Reason I ask is that I have looked at lots of stoves and inserts lately that say they qualify for the credit but the efficiency rating listed from the mfgr is below 70%. Is there a difference in how they are rated and/or tested? Is thermal efficiency different than the mfgr's effiency?

Thanks,
Rob

KYrob said:
"To be considered, a stove must use the burning of biomass fuel to heat a dwelling unit or to heat water for use in such a dwelling unit, and have a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75% as measured using a lower heating value;"

Reason I ask is that I have looked at lots of stoves and inserts lately that say they qualify for the credit but the efficiency rating listed from the mfgr is below 70%. Is there a difference in how they are rated and/or tested? Is thermal efficiency different than the mfgr's effiency?

Thanks,
Rob

There is more than one way to "rate" the efficiency.. before this ruling the "lower heating value" was NOT the one used.. for the purpose of the tax credit, it is..

Different measurements here. One is thermal efficiency and the other (for tax credit) is total efficiency. If the stove company has posted documentation on their website that the stove has been certified for the tax credit, that is the documentation you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.