What happened to the styled stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
It seems that all of the modern wood burning stoves are just black boxes with a window. The only exception seems to be Vermont Castings. My current stove is a 1975 Defiant, but is in sore need of a rebuild. I'm really hoping it can get us through the winter, but I want to have a back up plan. I also don't know if I want the weight of keeping us from freezing in the winter on my shoulders with a DIY rebuild, but we love this stove. Ideally I'd like to keep it for a workshop in the future and replace this stove before next winter.

It seems that Blaze King gets a great reputation and by all accounts seems to make some of the best stoves on the market. However, I find all of there stoves to be an eye sore. Is Vermont Castings the only way to go for a new stove that is styled after classic designs? Our old defiant is a beautiful stove and we love the way it looks.

I really like the Sedore biomass stoves, but only for the functionality. The stoves look terrible. Are there any stoves out there that have cook tops, look like something other than a black box, and isn't made by Vermont Castings? I ask about non VC because I'd like something with a bit less maintenance. They are great performing stoves, but finicky, especially for shoulder seasons.

I should also add that the Defiant is also a bit too much stove for our 1300 sqft salt box. I'm not opposed to a smaller stove, but they generally have even less aesthetic appeal.

Almost all the major stove manufacturers are making a fancier line of stoves. Some steel, some cast, some enamel, or a mixture of those. Even Blaze King makes a better looking line of stoves as an option to their ugly red headed step child stoves.

What's the opinion on cat stoves? From what I've read on here, they are a pain in the ass and more maintenance intensive. I really don't want something that requires electricity either since the power goes out here very often in the winter. Last year here many went for ten days without power in the coldest part of winter.

I like a sturdy cast iron stove, and that's what this Defiant used to be. I've never personally used a modern EPA stove, but they seem much different than stoves like my defiant and the antique stove we had when I was a kid.

There are lots of good lookers out there. Look at the Heartstone Manchester, Jotul F600 & F45,50, 55, Quadrafire Explorer, Enviro Boston, Blaze King Ashford, PE Alderlea, etc..

I feel like there’s a lot of good looking stoves. Jotul stoves have always been beautiful. Today’s cat stoves are very easy to use, VC is the one that gave cat stoves a reputation for being finicky and hard to use. Woodstock makes some pretty cat stoves that are about as simple to operate as it can get.

Reactions: Dug8498
Thanks for giving me some direction. I'm now dialed in on top loading cast stoves. I do like the versatility of the Jotul F50tl.

Thanks for giving me some direction. I'm now dialed in on top loading cast stoves. I do like the versatility of the Jotul F50tl.
Ya, it’s not that great unfortunately. After you open the top lid, you need to open an inner door. Leaving a very small opening to load wood. For a part time burner it would be fine, a serious burner would need to open the front door to push the wood to the back of the firebox so you could drop more wood in. May as well just load from the front.

Have owned both and I don't really miss top-loading even though at one point I thought it to be a prime criteria for owning a stove. My arm has a lot less (like none) burn marks on it now. And I really prefer N/S burning for full loads.

Reactions: webby3650
ISH_montage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: blacktail
Have owned both and I don't really miss top-loading even though at one point I thought it to be a prime criteria for owning a stove. My arm has a lot less (like none) burn marks on it now. And I really prefer N/S burning for full loads.
The top load is for my partner. It will be much easier for her to manage a top loader when I'm at work or school.

And thanks for the heads up about the Jotul.

What's the opinion on cat stoves? From what I've read on here, they are a pain in the ass and more maintenance intensive. I really don't want something that requires electricity either since the power goes out here very often in the winter. Last year here many went for ten days without power in the coldest part of winter.

I like a sturdy cast iron stove, and that's what this Defiant used to be. I've never personally used a modern EPA stove, but they seem much different than stoves like my defiant and the antique stove we had when I was a kid.

Keep reading . . . lots of folks here like cat stoves . . . other than periodically cleaning or changing out the cat they really don't seem to be a whole lot different than most other stoves.

Many stoves also do not require electricity . . . in fact my dealer suggested I not buy a blower from him and try the stove without a blower first . . . which turned out to be great advice.

Modern stoves are much different . . . both in their operation, more stringent need for well seasoned wood . . . and in burning more cleanly, efficiently and just as hot as the old stoves.

If you like the classic look and cast iron there are several makes/models which would suit your need. I think in terms of looks comparable to a VC, Jotul is pretty close . . . especially if you go with enamel.

The top load is for my partner. It will be much easier for her to manage a top loader when I'm at work or school.

And thanks for the heads up about the Jotul.
My wife manages the frontloading T6 with no complaints. Top loading really isn't a lot easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650
I can see getting used to a top load, but opening the front door and loading in wood is pretty easy. This eliminates all the working parts associated with a top loading stove. My favorite top loader was my Quadra-fire Isle Royale my in-laws have it now. It replaced their encore. They thought they needed a top loader too, only because the only experience they had was with a top loader.

For a home your size you might consider the Jotul 3cb. It heats well but requires more frequent loading due to its smallish fire box. We have been heating our small ranch for the past 20 years with the 3cb and really enjoy it. It will maintain enough coals overnight to rekindle if you load it well at night.

A N/S loader has the advantage of most often not needing gloves to load the stove.

Seems to me a stove with a steel box and a cast iron decorative shell has the advantages of both styles.

True. I haven't worn gloves for several years when loading.

I have a nice set of forge gloves, and I really like that my hands don't get ashy. Thank you all for the responses, I have a lot of material to research. The Woodstock stoves are gorgeous, but I don't have the best firewood stack, and I know the cats don't like substandard wood. I have a limited amount of seasoned wood and I've been cutting down dead standing trees to have something decent to start with. Another issue is the few hard woods on my property. We have 25 acres, but most of the trees are red and white spruce. The only other heat in my house is electric base board heaters, so the stove is definitely the primary heat. My chimney drafts very well and is pretty tall, unsure of the exact height.

Reactions: ispinwool
Dry, fully seasoned wood is important for getting the best results out of any stove, cat or non-cat. Standing dead can be ok, as long as it hasn't soaked up a lot of moisture.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will my wood stack. I've been working hard on getting firewood cut and stacked. I've already cut and stacked a cord in the last few weeks. I just don't think it will be fully seasoned before we need it. I really like the functionality of the Sedore wood stoves but they are very ugly. I love the look of the Woodstock Progress Hybrid, but it will need well seasoned firewood that I won't have for at least a few years. Plus the lack of readily available hard woods means more frequent loads with lower efficiency in the first place. I intend on cleaning my chimney at least once mid season when the weather permits. My passive heating is very effective and allows me to keep the stove cold on sunny days, regardless of outside temp.

If you continue to cut, split and stack standing dead wood you may be ok. Especially if you are able to sort out the obviously drier wood from the less dry wood. The PH is a hybrid and by reports reasonably tolerant of higher moisture (22%) wood. If that is what you like then maybe consider running it on some compressed sawdust fuel together with cord wood this year?

The wood quality is a concern no matter what stove you choose. I have no idea how the myth that cat stoves need “dryer” wood got started. It’s simply not true. They all require dry wood to be efficient, at least cat stoves have a bypass. My cat stoves have been easier to burn than most of the non cats I’ve had.

Yeah, we've been looking into compressed wood bricks and stuff like that. I really have no idea about products like that. If they work, we considered getting a pallet or two of them to help us out until our wood stacks are ahead a few years.

Of what I have tried HomeFire Prest Logs and Northern Idaho Energy Logs are the best. There are also compressed bricks which may be easier to find. Bio Bricks and Eco bricks are pretty good.