What happened to the styled stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@SpaceBus Can you cook on the 2b?
Have you looked at the Navigator stoves? I think one of them in your kitchen would be right up your alley.

It's possible to cook on it, but it's not convenient. I saw your post about the foil, I'll definitely do that if the power goes out again. Last time it was for 12 hrs, but it came back on before we started breakfast. I do plan on getting a wood cook stove, but it it needs to be UL listed, and I prefer something that can also heat my domestic hot water.

Attachments

• 20190126_113759.jpg
    20190126_113759.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: TWilk117
It's possible to cook on it, but it's not convenient. I saw your post about the foil, I'll definitely do that if the power goes out again. Last time it was for 12 hrs, but it came back on before we started breakfast. I do plan on getting a wood cook stove, but it it needs to be UL listed, and I prefer something that can also heat my domestic hot water.
Right on. I think I read that in another post in the classics section.

I must say, the Halibut is a sweet little cook stove and I would definitely consider it, but I'll have to check with insurance, which was hard to get in the first place because we are around 1/4 mile from the water. I doubt they would cover us if we used an unlisted stove.

I would give it a shot. As long as it is installed to some standard ( I don’t remember what it’s called) I think it can be done. The stove has a very well written manual and directions for heat shielding etc.
They do put out the Heat, but with such a small footprint and small fire box, I don’t know why anyone would possibly think it’s dangerous if it’s installed correctly.
The Halibut is very beautiful. I wish I could place an order on one right now. There is a long waiting list to get one. A porcelain one is even longer, and I don’t know what’s gonna happen once 2020 comes...

My wife and I lived in an RV for two years with our dogs. That little stove would have made that experience much more pleasant in the winter, even in NC. I plan to sell that RV and get a smaller one since it's a 38' long bus chassis. Maybe the new rig could use a tiny cook stove like that one.

Thank you, it is a real looker. The oversize chimney liner, it's just under 8x8" square ish, it's just within manufacturer spec for this stove, but it's not doing me any favors. I'm also using single wall pipe with a very sharp 90 bend, which is not helping either. I wish I had known that double wall pipe was for more than clearance reduction when we bought the stove. I will replace it with double wall pipe with two 45's when possible and put a six inch liner in the chimney before next winter, hopefully. Anyway, the heat exchanger accumulates creosote on cold starts because our wood is marginal and the flue takes forever to heat up because of the bends and size. Even with a 600-700f stove top (measured in the middle) the flue could easily be just 250f, which is less than I'd like with the giant flue. I really don't want to over fire the stove to get the pipe hotter, and it would also cook us out. So cleaning out half a gallon of creosote mid season out of the stove and Flue doesn't bother me this year. It could be a lot worse, but the creosote mostly accumulated in the single wall pipe. Either way, no big deal to clean twice a season until our wood situation improves and I improve the flue situation.

Yeah I think a 6” liner and 45’s would make a huge difference. I bought my liner kit and insulation kit on ebay. I used PayPal credit. 9 months no interest. And shipping was free.