What has changed in 10 ten years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KSRLTD

Feb 5, 2015
CA
Since I am not an expert about wood stoves, I thought I should ask those who are passionate about stoves.

Have significant changes in wood stoves occurred over the last ten years? Does it make sense to spend a lot of money on ten year old technology or maybe nothing much has changed...

For example in my sport, equipment is changing significantly every 3 years. Not that models from 9 years or 3 generations ago are not great, it's just the newest generation really is that much better.

I am considering buying a 2006 RAIS Malta. It's claims is to emit 4.2gm and I am looking at 2k. For about the same cost I could buy an Jotul F3 new, which has about the same emissions.

Thank you

Steph

Not a lot of changes in ten years. Every maker build's to meet the 1988 emissions regs and to please the eye and claim something wonderful.

If you are looking for a small stove with four hour burn times the F3 CB is hard to beat. I used one in my basement office, still have it just don't work down there anymore, and it was a great stove for the job.

Look at firebox size for longer burns, the relationship is linear, and what you want to heat.

Reactions: KSRLTD
Status
Not open for further replies.