What Husky chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new saw and the dealer i go to sells huskys and echo chainsaws. So i figure i better stick with one of those. I have a small saw i've been using for years but im looking for a saw to cut the bigger stuff. I'm looking for something around 50cc,light weight and good balanced and that can handle a 20" bar. I just wanted to get some input before i go down and ask them what they recommend. I figure the users would know a little more than the sellers...thanks guys

FJLayes625 said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new saw and the dealer i go to sells huskys and echo chainsaws. So i figure i better stick with one of those. I have a small saw i've been using for years but im looking for a saw to cut the bigger stuff. I'm looking for something around 50cc,light weight and good balanced and that can handle a 20" bar. I just wanted to get some input before i go down and ask them what they recommend. I figure the users would know a little more than the sellers...thanks guys
every body seems to love the rancher husky and my friend has an 2 echos he been running for 15 years you cant go wrong with either

I've heard bad things about the Rancher and something about dont buy any husky saw that the model number starts with a 4 or 5. not sure if thats true or not.

If your buying through a dealer i woudnt worry about it.There are many rancher users on the fourm that like them.It all comes down to price and service,If they service waht they sell its all good

I use the Husky 350 with a 20" bar. I love this thing!!!!!! It has the guts to do the job, and does great for what I do. I cut some 36"+ locust at the local tree dump two weeks ago. (with the safety chain) I had to cut one side, then go around and cut the other side, then roll the log over to finish the cut, but the saw did the job. You can pull the motor down if you "lean into it", with the bar buried to the tip, but use it like you are supposed to, and it will do great things. I just bought two 20 LP chains, by Oregon, (aggressive chain) for it, and am foaming at the mouth to try it out. The guys at the dealership said that they don't normally sell the aggressive chains to someone who doesn't have a licence, but because I specifically asked, they would build them for me. On the receipt was written " Customer request, aggressive chain, not responsible for accidents" this was highlighted. I think the 350 is a great saw and my dealer is a dream to work with. (Great warranty also) :) I sounds like it would work great for you.

FJLayes625 said:

I would go with the Dolmar 5100 S. Just over 11 pounds, 4 hp 50cc engine. Turns the chain at over 14,000 rpm's......

The only thing close in the Husqky lineup would be the 346xp. That is a great little saw, but will cost you.

As for the 350, I think it's just fine, but they don't sell them anymore. It has been replaced by the 450 which isn't a tested model. I think the 450 will set you back about as much as for the Dolmar, and if there is a Dolmar dealer anywhere near you, you should really check them out.

jeffman3 said:
I use the Husky 350 with a 20" bar. I love this thing!!!!!! It has the guts to do the job, and does great for what I do. I cut some 36"+ locust at the local tree dump two weeks ago. (with the safety chain) I had to cut one side, then go around and cut the other side, then roll the log over to finish the cut, but the saw did the job. You can pull the motor down if you "lean into it", with the bar buried to the tip, but use it like you are supposed to, and it will do great things. I just bought two 20 LP chains, by Oregon, (aggressive chain) for it, and am foaming at the mouth to try it out. The guys at the dealership said that they don't normally sell the aggressive chains to someone who doesn't have a licence, but because I specifically asked, they would build them for me. On the receipt was written " Customer request, aggressive chain, not responsible for accidents" this was highlighted. I think the 350 is a great saw and my dealer is a dream to work with. (Great warranty also) :) I sounds like it would work great for you.
Iwanted a husky but the closest delership to me was 30 miles one way they do make a great saw

sl7vk said:
FJLayes625 said:

....As for the 350, I think it's just fine, but they don't sell them anymore.

My dealer still has the 350.... Maybe they are selling out old stock, but they are still on the rack. I bought mine last year, but I was in there just last week to pick up chains and get some oil for the saw. I always look at the saws when I'm in there, and they still have the 350.

Stihl/Husky/Dolmar all make really good saws, but in the 50cc range nobody can touch the Power/weight/ price of the 5100s right now.
If you have a dealer near you, I'd check one out.

My dealer is getting $399.00

Dolmar 5100s - 3.1 ci. / 50.7 cc. / 14,500 rpm / 3.9 hp. with a 11.2 lb Powerhead

I've cut about 7 cords with it this year....I'd get it with a 3/8 chain/spocket set up without blinking an eye.

WoodButcher

specs on the Husky 350 are as follows: (out of my owners manual.)

cylinder displacement: 3.15 inch / 51.7 cc
idle speed 2700 rpm
power: 2.3 kW/9000 rpm (don't know conversion to HP)
weight: 10.6 lbs (no bar and empty)

I have a second hand husqvarna 365 . I just bought an 18 inch bar and chain to replace the 24 that was on it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another husqy but will probably buy a delmar to replace my 14 inch poulan that is dieing on me....reason is the closest shop....the one that fixes my mowers is a dolmar and shindaiwa carrier. Closest dealer to me is (besides lowes) is probably 20 miles.

See if you can find yourself a 372 Husky, it'll do any firewood cutting you need to do. They are plentiful with a ton of mods available everywhere. Ask any pro cutter and he'll confirm what I'm saying. I have a 346, 372, and a 3120 that cover anything I need to do.

How much are you looking to spend?

I wouldn't get an ECHO. So if it MUST be a Husky around 50cc, then the only saws to consider in order from first to last are:

346XP

I bought a 346XP this year for limbing and smaller logs as my 372 got really heavy working in small timber. I love it, it's a very capable peppy little saw that will easily pull a 16 or 18 inch bar with authority.

If you want to get a Husky the 346XP (New Edition , 50CC version) comes highly recommended.

I've got a 346xp and will concur it is a great saw. It fits in between the Echo 3400 and the 372xp perfectly. The dolmar is a great saw also they will both pull 3/8" chain if you are so inclined. You want to be sure to get the New Edition as it is a torquier saw than the previous version. The old version was a flat out racehorse but you had to keep it wound up. The New edition is 50.1 CC vs ~46 CC for the old version.

The 455 is a saw built for non commercial use. Usally the biggest complaints is they weigh more for the power you get. They also cost a bunch less. Stihl has the 270, 290, 310, 390 saws that get the same complaints.

The 5xx saws from Husqvarna are the stratocharged x-torq design. There main advantages is that they get great fuel economy and have a wider power band (575 vs 372). The disadvantage is that they are a little heavier. A Stihl MS 441 sometimes gets the same complaints but they did a little better job with their first round of strato - charged saws. They improved their air filtration system so it works more in line with the Husky's and they squeezed a little more hp vs weight added (vs MS440).

Don

WOODBUTCHER said:
Stihl/Husky/Dolmar all make really good saws, but in the 50cc range nobody can touch the Power/weight/ price of the 5100s right now.
If you have a dealer near you, I'd check one out.

My dealer is getting $399.00

Dolmar 5100s - 3.1 ci. / 50.7 cc. / 14,500 rpm / 3.9 hp. with a 11.2 lb Powerhead

I've cut about 7 cords with it this year....I'd get it with a 3/8 chain/spocket set up without blinking an eye.

WoodButcher
I swear the next saw i buy will be the 5100,I probaly need a lighter saw to have with me and your reviews of the 5100 never change.I hope it can stacks as well as it cuts!lol

Man, I love my Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar. I cut side by side with a guy who uses a 455, and I stay well ahead of him. Another friend bought a 359 after seeing the two go head to head.

M1sterM said:
Man, I love my Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar. I cut side by side with a guy who uses a 455, and I stay well ahead of him. Another friend bought a 359 after seeing the two go head to head.
the 359 more saw for sure!

TMonter said:
The 359 is a great saw and is even better with a mild woods port and muffler mod.
I like the sound of that

i have a husky thats a 62cc with a 24 inch bar. i believe its a 162 and it has no brake for cutting real trees. its a little older but it cuts through anything and you dont have to worry about bumping the brake on the big trees when your trying to cut them down. it has plenty of power and will cut smaller things too. if you keep the chain out of the dirt it will cut for years. get a pro grade saw if you actually plan on using it. they are worth their wieght in gold. those plastic ones like the polans and echo or whatever are for the birds. they break all the time and have little to no power. they are also heavier. also ask your dealer if they have used saws. at mine they have 3 or 4 hundred saws that people have brought in and needed more repairs than a new saw costs so they fix them and sell them for a few hundred less than a new one. lots of husky's and sthil's which are best in our opinion here even above most dolmars. if you want the consumer grade then all this realy shouldnt matter any way but if you want a real saw that cuts real wood get a pro grade. you wont have to get a big one and a small one of cheaper quality that will need more repairs than one realy nice pro-grade thats medium size. also if you like smaller saws shindawa or how ever you spell that and jonsared have good saws which are basicly even with husk's and stihl's. we have lots of saws over 20 years old of those brands that have never failed us while we were out cutting away with guys who had to stop with there consmur grade saws even the cheaper husky's. the cheaper one's carbueretors suck and the saws bog down on big wood.

for used saws most of the 2 digit husky's are the more powerful pro grade saws and the 3 digit ones are the home owner ones with cheap parts. it wont matter if its cheap or not until you get out about 100 miles from town and your saw has some cheap plastic part that breaks and leaves you 50 bucks in gas money in the hole.

oilbegone said:
I vote for the 372XP for the larger wood paired with a 345 or so for lighter work

Unfortunately, one big reason I cut wood (but not the only) is because it's the cheapest available option, and that dictates only spending money on one saw. I picked the 359 because it seemed like the best compromise between quality, power, and light enough to swing it all day long withough getting too (relatively) tired. If I could afford two, the 372 and 345 or a similar combination would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.